raymon73 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Angry Need Help Relating Forms for Data Entry!!!

I've been stuck on this problem for weeks. I'm an intermediate access user and don't understand code and macro's too well, I'm making a database to record all of our companies audits. Audits have many observations and then people write at least 4 responses to each observation. I created a table for the audit information, a table for the observations that is related to the particular audit, and a table for the responses that is related to a particular observation.

My problem is relating the forms so all the data is entered for the same audit record. I have a data entry form to enter the audit info and a subform to enter the observations. I used the macro from the Northwind example where you click on the observations ID in the subform to open a countinuous form to enter the responses. Here is where I start having problems. When I enter a responses they are not linked to their observation. I open the response table and the responses have no number in the foreign key linking them to their observation, the cells are empty. I think that when I go between forms, its losing the string of records that I'm on.

My second attempt was to copy the Northwind example where click on the customer on the Customer List, brings up the Customer Details and shows multiple orders. You can then click on the individual orders to bring up the Order Details with multiple products. I like this way a lot better and this is exactly how I want mine to look but I don't understand how they were able to keep pulling from the same string of records. I'd like to show Observations (like Customer Details) and click on an observation. This will bring up the Responses (like Order Details) where it shows the one observation on the top of the form and show a datasheet with the responses on the bottom of the form. I had the same problem where the Responses form was not related to the observation, and how did they get the individual order to show on the top of the Order Details form?

I really really need someones help with this. If you give me code, just tell me where to copy and paste it to. Let me know if there is a better way of doing this database or if you need more explaination on something. Please Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dsmacs is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Can you post your current db with some sample data?

Have you set up you relationships with Enforce Referential Integrity and Cascade Update Related Fields?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.