Huddle is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2003

Database Split - Error Subscript out of range

I am totally new to splitting databases. I have a database on the server that I need to have anyone access at the same time. I believe splitting the database is the way to do this.

When I split it I got a "Subscript out of range error" and then an "Invalid procedure or call argument" error.

When I open the FE database the tables with the data are there. The forms and queries are empty as they should be.

When I open the BE database the tables are there with data in them and there is no indication that the tables are linked.

Can anyone tell me what is going on and how it effects the databases?
    Last edited by Huddle; 07-12-2010 at 12:17 PM. Reason: Switched FE & BE

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    The back end should have only the tables and should be the file that is located on the server. The front end should show the same tables as the backend with the linked symbol next to them. Your forms, queries, reports and modules should be in the front end.

Windows XP Access 2003
    I got FE & BE mixed up. The front end does have the forms and such. However the front end tables do not have the link symbols. I'm thinking that the error message I got has something to do the with links not being completed.

You also said the backend is to be placed on the server. Wouldn't you need to put the front end on the server for users to access? They would need the forms and such.
    Last edited by Huddle; 07-12-2010 at 04:15 PM. Reason: additional question

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    It sounds like you just need to relink the front end to the backend and your errors should go away.

Regarding the front end, each user should have a copy of the front end file on their local harddrive. You might find this site useful since it has a front end autoupdater utility. Having all of your users accessing the front end will end up corrupting the front end at some point.

pdebaets is offline Competent Performer
    Windows Vista Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    I've never seen the "subscript out of range" error associated to a table linking problem. I think you have a problem with an array subscript somewhere. What routine gives you the problem? What line of code is highlighted when you get the error?

Windows XP Access 2003
    The two error messages came up when I actually split the database. I do not use code to create my data base stuff. I only use the options provided by MS & simple Micro and formulas.

I looked at your site reference and it looks like it would be a big help. I work for the government and therefore the programs we are able to download are highly scrutized. I have my IT guy looking at it.

How do I relink the tables?

pdebaets is offline Competent Performer
    Windows Vista Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    You may have a corrupted add-in library. An Access repair/reinstall may help.

Windows XP Access 2003

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.