Creating contract through Access

I am not quite sure Access is capable of doing what I want to do. Can someone help me out? I am trying to push Access for this project because the users will easily be able to update the fields after the project will be done.

I have to create a solution that will automatically build a contract. I have a very well defined decision tree with the respective corresponding outputs for each decision. Therefore, it would be easy to do this in simple programming, but the problem is that the contract clauses may need to be changed by someone who is not experienced in coding. Therefore I am trying to bend Access to be able to do this.

So basically, i have a database with tons of textual feilds, but I want to output these fields in a way that they will be formatted. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance

dsmacs is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Have the contract set up as a Word Template so the clauses can be changed by anyone with access to the template. You would also need to set up fields in the template which the records in Access would populate.

Attached sample from Albert Kallal may give you some assistance.

Regards
    Darren

Thanks for the quick response Darren! It gives me new insight. I am analysing the code to understand how it is works to use it for my needs.

(On the other hand, can you explain me the steps I should take to successfully merge a record into word? I click on the Word button, but I do not have a template that will recieve the information from the record. )

I just figured it out! Thanks a million!!!!!!

Alex

hmmmm

Hi Dsmacs,

Is there a way to modify this code in order to automate certain actions in Word? Inside the text there are some fields that need to be replaced by numbers. I could not store this in the database, because it was not standard for all instances.

Basically what I would need is a fusion inside the fusions. Of course this is not possible, so i was thinking of doing an auto search and replace all. Ideally if i could do it straight from access it would be great. If not I guess I can find a way to do it in Word...

dsmacs is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Alexandre,

Are you willing to send me the template and the various possible answers to your decision tree? Also point out the area's where numbers need to be added/changed?

I'll create a sample for you...

email is d [dot] mcdonald [at] ozemail [dot] com [dot] au

regards
    Darren

Sample of what I am trying to do

A perfect example that Illustrates what i'm trying to do is this:

Let's say the contract is in 2009. I created text which has "replacement fields" in it so that the search function will be able to find it. Example:
    YEAR = 2009
    CAP_IN_NUMBERS = 5% (I have code that translates to CAP_IN_WORDS already)

"
    Notwithstanding the calculated adjustment based on the agreed formula, the adjustment increase over the previous year for YEAR (n) shall not exceed one and CAP_IN_WORDS (CAP_IN_NUMBERS%).
    "

I would like it to search all and replace the user input to the variable fields seen here.

Edit: the decision tree has been mapped out on paper and is mostly in french :S On the other hand, the file that you have given me has PERFECTLY repsonded to my needs for all the standard decision tree decisions (by standard, i mean big decisions which change the paragraphs of the contract)... Now I just need to find a way to replace the word fields automatically (like seen above) to complete the solution

Thanks infinitely for your help

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.