Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Changing a category name in a db project that is quite adavnced

I am about to change some table categories names in my db. I named them something xxxxxxNN when I should name them xxxxxx_NN. That is only for consistency.

However, I know that sometimes changing a name in an MS Access 2010 db is akin to changing the bricks or masonry on the first floor of a 100 floor skyscraper - be very careful. I am not sure how to go about this systematically, so that I get all the instances of a name's use and not futz up the db in any way

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    First make a good backup of your DB. Next Click on Office button top left, go to Access Options, Current Database, scroll down and check Track Name Autocorrect and Perform Name Autocorrect. This should change the name in your objects if you change the table name. But I'm no expert on it so you will have to test. After you do the changes, uncheck those boxes.

jwhite is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    MZTools can help here and in many other areas (https://www.mztools.com/). Not freeware anymore, but well worth the purchase price.

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    What screen am I on when I do this?

Code:
    First make a good backup of your DB.  Next Click on Office button top left, go to Access Options
    I cannot find that screen.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    I am not sure what to do after I click on Perform Name Autocorrect. I guess it is to change the name of a table and then it filters through the rest of the db. Is that the way to do it?

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Yes if that option is checked, then when you change the name of a table for example, it changes it automatically in all the queries that table is used.

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    Okay, I will give it a shot. Thanks for your answer.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    Okay, but what if I change a filed name. ill this MS Access Autocorrect work then?

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Not sure what all you can use this on, test it out and see.

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    Each table has fields. If I change a field name in one table does it change the same field name in all tables in the. Please understand this is not a table name, but a name of a component within that table. Also, what about the VBA code behind the forms. Is that modified?

Second how to I download an attached file? I may want to check one out in the near future. I can upload and attach them, so how do I unattach and download them.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    I really need an answer to this question since all my testing has resulted in a lot of vagueness on what the AutoCorrect function can and cannot do. I keep on finding table names and field names that are inconsistent with the naming style that I want to use. So they must be changed. I need assurance that I got them all. AutoCorrect can provide that.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Bulzie is offline VIP
    Others may be more experts on that functionality and can anwser directly but do research yourself online to see if they give more info on what all is covered. Or do some testing yourself, make a copy of a database that has a field in code and change it in the table(with the option checked to autocorrect) and see if it changes it in the code. Best way for you to learn these kind of things is to test various options, not always ask for an answer. And always have a good backup before doing any kind of code or process changes.

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    I have a backup of my db. What I do not have is time. That is why I cannot afford to do a lot of testing. This is not academia. I am paid to deliver a product. I just I did have that luxury, but I just do not.

Anyway, I hope that explains it.

R,

Lou Reed

Lou_Reed is offline VIP

Using MS access 2010 Autocorrect

I have used the Autocorrect capability and I asked MS Access 2010 to track all of my changes. It has.

How there are still some things that are not working, usually owing to the name change as I said from xxxxxx_NN to
    xxxxxx_NN.

For instance in the db that I have attached; try and open frmAttendence. You get two messages (see the *.png files)
    and in each of them the file name is written in the old way not the new. I am not sure how that happends or even where to begin since, I thought that
    all table name were changed (and tracked). As were all field names that applied.

Now it is throwing errors that use the old names and it should not. That was supposed to be changed by MS Access 2010 Autocorrect.
    But it was not.

Where are these messages coming from and where do I correct them.

I think MS Access 2010 Autocorrect is not that thorough.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2017-04-03_14-35-13.png   2017-04-03_14-34-28.png  
    Attached Files Attached Files

jwhite is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Not that you want to hear this now, but AutoCorrect is very buggy - see http://allenbrowne.com/bug-03.html.

The approach used by many is to use some type of utility to find certain values in code/objects and make changes for the finds - MZ Tools (as mentioned early in this thread) is an excellent utility for this any many other things. I personally would not rely on ANY utility to make application wide changes automatically.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.