NickWren is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2013

Angry Setting a Default Value for a subform from a main form

On the main form I have a field called "FacilityAbbreviation", I want to use this field to set the default values on a subform.

Code:
    Private Sub Form_Load()
    [Forms]![frmAddFacilityPatients]![subformtblNewFacilityPatient].[Form]![FacilityAbbreviation].DefaultValue = Me.FacilityAbbreviation.Value
    Me.Text15 = Me.FacilityAbbreviation.Value
    End Sub

This should work; I get a #NAME? in the FacilityAbbreviation field in the subform; and I get the Facility Abbreviation in Text15. how come its being put into the textbox but not the subform correctly? Is it because of the event?

I am going to try and switch it up right now and try and pull the value from the subform instead of the subform trying to have the data in-put;
    I tried this but still same results... maybe I need to try Me.FacilityAbbreviation.text? or making that into a string before putting it into the subform.

jwhite is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    Have you tried removing .DefaultValue? And there is no need to use .Value, which is the default. More on this at http://www.baldyweb.com/ValueText.htm

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    You could try putting the new default value in quotes and/or using the bang (!) instead of a period to refer to the form control:

[Forms]![frmAddFacilityPatients]![subformtblNewFacilityPatient].[Form]![FacilityAbbreviation].DefaultValue = "'" & Me!FacilityAbbreviation.Value & "'"

Windows XP Access 2013
    Alright John_G I will give your suggestion a try and let you know how it works out. But jwhite, when I tried to enter it in as a value; it starts a new record for me (so if you click on the button by accident; now you have a new record and an auto number started, therefore possible messing up the sequence).

Windows XP Access 2013
    THANK YOU SO MUCH JOHN_G THAT WORKED PERFECTLY!!!! I why would that even effect if the value went into the default field? is it because it didnt see it as a string?

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    I was wondering about that as well. The only thing I can think of is that somehow Access was confused by the use of the period instead of the bang. I have found that while the period and bang are usually interchangeable, sometimes they are not, and maybe this is one of those times. From what the experts here have said, this can be true if your control name and the name of the field it is bound to are the same.

But you have the problem solved, and that's really what matters. Glad I could help.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.