Mclaren is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)

When to split

I am creating a simple database to track history on electronic machines. The database will be used by several staff +-5 to10. Any advice on things to do when i have this many people connecting would be appreciated.

Also, i am currently designing the db as a single entity, but will have to split at some point in time. I would like to know when i should split ? right from the start of design or should i get everything working first before splitting ?

I would also need someway of the front end checking the path to the back end and if it is not valid then to ask the user to enter the path using the common dialog that generally pops up when you open a file through a program interface.

The new path would then be saved to the front end and checked on every occasion the front end is opened.

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Since the database is going to be a multiuser application, it needs to be split. I would split it from the start, but you would just keep both the front and back ends on your harddrive until you have finished getting everything set up and tested. Once set up, move the backend to a server and relink the front end to the backend. You will have to relink for each user, but once the front and back are linked, you should not need to check the path every time. I think there are other ways to automate the initial deployment, but I would wait on that until your application is set up.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    I'd split now. There are a few functions that work fine with local tables but not with linked tables. Better to find out now than after you've distributed the app.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Mclaren is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Thanks guys.

My concern is that should the IT division decide to change the path on a server or migrate the Back end to a new server (which they have done before) then the Front End would warn the user and allow the user to enter a new path. If i build this into the DB now, it will prevent me from getting calls that i should not need to then deal with.

jzwp11 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    You might check out this auto front end updater utility available from a Microsoft MVP's website, perhaps it will take care of what you want to do as well as help you distribute your front end file to your users more efficiently.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.