K Roger is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003

Displaying data from a main form, subform and sub-subform as an "Executive Summary" Tab-Access 2003

Displaying data from a main form, subform and sub-subform on an "Executive Summary" Tab (Access 2003)

This actually is two questions that are closely related.

First Question: I would like to create and display (on a tabbed subform) three fields concatenated together as a single field; one from the main form and two from the subform. These would be concatenated with symbols in between the fields e.g. [main form field] & "-" & [subform field1] & "/" & [subform field2].

I was able to display the main field data and a symbol, but can't seem to concatenate the subform data on into a single string. Everything I have tried doesn't seem to work, either as a pre-saving (non-compilable) error message or as a post-compilation being unrecognized and displayed as "#Name?".

Optionally I would also like to save this concatenated data into a field in the subforms source table.

Can this be done as a Control Source-defined formula or must one resort to VBA coding behind a command button?

Second question: Is it possible to display e.g. an Executive Summary on a tabbed subform that consolidates in several fields from extracts data from the main form, subform, and a sub-subform?

My reason asking for this is that I have a multi-tabbed form on the main form, but in some instances only need to see data from three files in one place without having to dig through several of the other tabs to find the relevant information?

Or is it possible to have a tabbed subform within a main form which in turn has tabs some of which could include data from the main form, subform sub-subform?

Or would another subform on the main form that passes hierarchically related data (main, sub and subforms) located elsewhere on the main form as a separate set of tabs.

The relationships are one main file plus several subfiles, some of which have subfiles related to them. They are all tied together hierarchically by the use of automatically generated keys and foreign keys.

To date, I have not been able to find any references to doing the above procedures on or off the internet.

These procedures (without additional information) are well beyond my programming ability so any help, including examples, generalized code, procedures, or relevant internet links etc. would be extremely appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

K Roger

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    First question: Likely the subform reference/control reference is incorrect. Post what you tried to give us an idea of what you're up to, or use this as a guide:
    referencing CONTROLS on subform:
    [Forms]![Main form name]![subform control name].[Form]![control name on subform] where subform control name is the name of the control that contains the subform; it is not the subform itself.

#2 - very hard to follow, having trouble deciphering what this means "...consolidates in several fields from extracts data from..." and don't know what you mean by a tabbed subform or a "multi-tabbed form". You mean a subform (or form) with a tab control on it? The tab control contains pages (some call them tabs) but ever since version 2007, forms can have a tab view, so the terms don't intermingle very well (at least for me). Then there is a navigation form, which has tabs...
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.