MFriend is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)

Issue with Pass-Through Queries

Hi Folks:

I am having an 'issue' with using pass-through queries on Access 2010.

Setup: Using linked tables with Access linked to Oracle XE. Both are installed on the same local machine.

I am able to run "Regular" queries with no problems. If I attempt to set up the query to be a 'Pass-Through' query, the query and the form that is using it as its source become unusable because Access will CONSTANTLY pop up a box asking for the DSN information. The DSN information is correct (and I tried file, system, user DSN setups that connect successfully). Once I select which ODBC DSN info I want to use, then I must re-enter my password. The moment I do anything that requires Access to extract data from the Oracle XE database, I get the popup DSN request and then have to re-enter my password.

For some reason it seems anytime the query with the Pass-Through SQL is accessed, I have to select the DSN again (doesn't matter if it is Machine or file DSN) and re-enter my password.

If I take the query and change it to a regular query and not Pass-Through, it works fine (so the form is set correctly to use the Query as its source).

Does anyone know why this would be happening?

Thanks,
    Matthew

P.S. Does using a Pass-Through Query cause the connection between Access and Oracle to terminate after each query... it seems so. If so, is there a way to keep the connection 'alive'?

MFriend is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Just a little follow up:

I was able to accomplish what I needed to by creating a view in Oracle and then changing the source from the query I had created to using the view as the source.

I still am not able to use a saved query though as it seems it constantly causes a disconnection from the Oracle database (at least that seems to be the issue with having to re-enter my password every 5 seconds or so).

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.