florida2001 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2013

Please help me find answer for question 2

Hi,

I'm desperately trying find the information for my school discussion, I don't want anyone to do homework for me, but I'm seriously do not know how to answer this questions. Access is not my best friend.I found answer for nb 1.which I believe is -(determine the purpose of database, find and organize information, divide into table, turn into items into columns, specify primary key and set up relationship. But I have no clue what number 2 is asking?? Please help!!!

Scenario: Think of an opportunity in your personal, academic, or professional life in which you could use a database (ordering supplies, tracking inventory, maintaining a customer mailing list, organizing a library, etc.). Answer the following questions:

1.What guidelines would you use for designing your database and tables?
    2.Who would your end users be and how would you accommodate their needs through your design?

3.Explain how you would use filters or queries. What's the difference between a filter and a query?
    4.What kinds of reports would you run? Why?

thank you
    appreciate

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Not necessarily answers but may help...
    1.What guidelines would you use for designing your database and tables?
    There are examples of best/common practices. Normalization, RDBMS, Primary Key Foreign Key, Business Rules

2.Who would your end users be and how would you accommodate their needs through your design?
    RDBMS will manage your data and the "Public Interface" you create will be the application side of things. Access is an RDBMS that also has Rapid Application Development (RAD) tools to help you build an app "Public Interface"

3.Explain how you would use filters or queries. What's the difference between a filter and a query?
    Access uses its own brand of SQL that is similar to Transact SQL but is not Transact SQL. Employ queries to create datasets. Bind forms and other objects to datasets. Use tools available via the public interface to filter the resulting dataset.

4.What kinds of reports would you run? Why?
    Historically, reports are read only. Reports would be printed, dated, and read. They are not dynamic and are only valid with respect to the date/time they are printed. Therefore, they have limited functionality. Newer versions of Access, however, allow for dynamic interaction with Reports via a GUI.
    Last edited by ItsMe; 04-04-2014 at 08:13 AM. Reason: changed recordset to dataset

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    1. Relational Database Management and data normalization principles, organization business rules, data entities and relationships - for a library, data entities would be authors, book titles, publishers

2. for a library, end users could be public - anyone who checks out a book - as well as the staff who manage the library

3. queries are used to manipulate data, they can join related tables so all associated data can be viewed, filters can be applied to restrict the dataset

4. for a library, one report could be for overdue books - reports can group records and provide aggregate calcs (count, sum, average)
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

florida2001 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2013
    thanks June 7 I got it ))))

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.