Karaline is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

Question Daily Back up Database Question

I have been reading similar questions and answers regarding foreseeable issues I have and will have.

1.We enter 200 to 500 documents a day. the file size will reach its limit sooner than later.

I have created a system where at the time of payment the receipts are ticked paid and they are then stored and can only be seen if looked for specifically by "closed" receipts. I would like to instead once they have been marked as invoiced send them to another database for storage archive. they won't be pulled across or required unless specifically looked at.

2. I and others work on WiFi, when I have my database fe and be on my desktop life works smoothly.
    Question: can i keep a separate back end on on my desktop and do a daily update to the main database back end on our company server?

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    backup BOTH fe & be to a server. If your pc dies, backups to your own pc wont help you.

Entering 500 documents may not increase the db size rapidly. Depends on the docuement. Simple text wont gain that much.
    Photos and attachment do. Compact daily.

If it gets large rapidly, sometimes putting a single table into its own BE can slow the growth.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    If by documents you mean word/excel/pdf/other app files, then store these in a folder and just store the path in the db.

If you mean records in tables - as a general rule, access should be able to store several million - 1 million at 500/day would be around 5-6 years worth, so perhaps 10 to 20 years worth of data.

If working through wifi, you would be better to use sql server as a back end (express is free but with some limitations) because it is better protected against interruptions in the wifi service.

If performance is an issue, an alternative is to use citrix or terminal server - gives virtually the same performance as working with the backend on your local drive. Performance is more affected by your network specification and how the db is designed to work in terms of transferring data across the network and indexing - the more data it has to transfer, the slower it will be, so forms based on entire tables will be significantly slower as will tables without proper indexing, poorly designed queries etc. See this link which may be of help https://www.access-programmers.co.uk...d.php?t=291269. It relates to upsizing, but the principles are the same.

With regards keeping a separate backend on your local drive and daily updating to the main server, yes this is possible but not simple. If you are working on data unique to yourself and not needing to share with anyone else, you just need to make sure you don't clash on primary id's and are not in the position of two users being able to create the same record (e.g. new customer). Also depends on if you need an update of what other users have done. You will need a number of queries for each table you want to 'sync' to compare the data you have locally with the data on the server and update each accordingly. You will also need a routine to manage clashes where you and another user have both updated the same record - which is correct? yours? or the other users? I can also see issues where data is archived - if your copy has a record which since your last sync has been archived on the main server, when you next come to sync, you need to ensure it is not treated as a new record and reinserts it into the main server.

hi, to further explain. all responses were welcome but tried or decided not acceptable.

my be is exactly the same as the be 10 other users have fe connections to. my problem is that my site office has bad wifi. No to all answers relating to improving wifi or where to locate the be. this is as good as it gets

I am trying to find a way to allow me to use the database in my office and not be hindered by speeds linking slowness due to wifi connectivity. we back up our servers daily so main be and fe's are backed up.

I want to see if i can link my be to the server be and it will be updated daily at time i specify. i will be only one who needs to do this. but from the amount of work that has been explained will require completing i am guessing i won't be using the new database at all.

Ethernet cables and some trunking!

funny. will tell IT guy he needs to get ethernet cables to solve my problem but make sure he buys 200 metres length

Its only effective up to 100 meters. I see youve already said no to the improvements though. lol. What about having a local office server for the database?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.