rfcomm2k is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2003

How to make a query update in real time

I have 2 tables, a master list and a used list. I also have a query that looks at both tables and provides a list of all items from the master list that do not appear in the used list. This query works fine when I open it, but it does not update when I make changes to the used list. I need to close the query and re-open it so the changes I made will appear.

How can I keep this query open all the time and still have it update automatically when I add or delete an item to/from the used list?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    you don't with queries - it will probably work if the query is a simple view of a single table, but your query requires a comparison.

You could try clicking on the refresh button on the ribbon (2007+) but no idea if this is available on 2003 (long time since I last used it)

Access is not really designed to work with the table and query objects as a matter of course - you use forms and reports.

If your query was on a form, you could use the requery method perhaps on a form timer event or triggered by an update event of some sort.

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rfcomm2k View Post
    I have 2 tables, a master list and a used list. I also have a query that looks at both tables and provides a list of all items from the master list that do not appear in the used list. This query works fine when I open it, but it does not update when I make changes to the used list. I need to close the query and re-open it so the changes I made will appear.

How can I keep this query open all the time and still have it update automatically when I add or delete an item to/from the used list?
    Why keep a master list and a used list. Couldn't you just keep the master list and add field to it that indicates if it has been "used".
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.