aiken_Bob is offline Novice
    Windows 7 Access 2007

db compacting

I've been using Access for several years now and as a good practice I compact the db ever so ofter. Yesterday I pack a large DB, for me, several thousand records and for whatever reason Access ate my DB - several tables are missing, but I did get a new table Msyscompacterror with a lot of error 1206 and 1907 along with a mixture of Chinese and Korean symbols.

How can I get my original DB back - I have never had this problem before.

thanks in advance

Windows 7 Access 2007
    I had the compact upon closing when this happen -- if that helps

evander is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 Access 2003
    Setting the option "Compact on Close" enabled in Access 2007 may even delete your entire database. See this article: http://allenbrowne.com/bug-DeleteOnCompact.html

As a matter of protecting your data, make it a habit to create copies of the database and archive these copies in a separate folder. Rename your database so that it includes dates.

This is how I usually name my backup copies: Filename - 06.25.2010 - 07.18.accdb.
    06.25.2010 represents the current date, and 07.18 represents the time I create the backup.

Windows 7 Access 2003
    Oh, and the answer to your question, since you're using Windows 7, you can try accessing the Previous Versions feature of the folder in which your database resides. It's like System Restore, but only on a folder level. Never tried this before, but perhaps it can work for you.

Good luck.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Many thanks --
    - Naturally I put all my data on D and the programs on C -- The previous version is really great BUT you have to manually turn in on for the Drive where windows doesn't reside.
    - that is such a cool feature of Win 7 I'm surprise that it hasn't been push more - it was news to me.....

Again Thanks - I'll turn off the compact on close option -- Interesting Carbonite also lost the file hopefully I can get it back -- When Access screws up it does it big time, thankfully these are rare.

Windows 7 Access 2003
    You're welcome. All the best.

Joe.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.