5 Mike
    6 Jon
    Name Pos Dur
    Tom Cashier Old
    Ron Mngr Old
    Steve Stock New
    Tom Secur New
    Tom Mngr New

I am new to Access so forgive in advance if this is stupid basic or not even possible. Thank you in advance for any answers or suggestions. I am trying to create a form where my combo box would be based off of Name field in the upper table. The relationship between the two tables are joined by Name field as well. Once the value is selected in the Combo box, I would like values in the POS field from lower table to be added to a text box. However I want ALL values in the POS field to be added that correspond with the Name selected. So for instance, when Tom is selected in the combo box, I want Cashier, Secur and Mngr to auto populate in the text box. I would also like another text box to behave the same for the Dur field Old, New, New.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    huskersippi,

if this is stupid basic or not even possible.
    This is not a stupid question. Unfortunately it is similar to many we see from posters who self identify as new to Access and database.
    Access is a database tool and is built on certain concepts and theory. Some of the basic concepts are critical to getting a database to work as intended. Normalization is a basic concept (see links later).

A proven method for designing a database is to start with a description -in plain English- of the business/processes you are trying to support. Create a data model and test it (pencil and paper) See the tutorial (link below) for designing a database to support a well described business and to create the tables and relationships for this database. The procedure you use in the tutorial can be used with any database.
    Then, develop the database using Access and the data model you have tested and confirmed matches your requirements.

I would not start with a Form. A form is a way for user to interact with a table(s). It is more important to get your database structure correct (normalized and tested) than to start with a form and do continual trial and error is search of a design.

You might try watching some free video tutorials by Dr.Daniel Soper that will help you with the concepts.

Intro to Database
    The Relational Model
    Data Modelling and the ER Model

Here is a different set of videos by a different presenter to complement those above.
    These are free youtube videos from Mark Serva that deal with entity relationships, modelling, cardinality, ....
    The playlist is listed here.

Here is a tutorial from RogersAccessLibrary -deals with a Customer-Order-Product .
    It has a problem definition, a process to design the appropriate tables and a solution. You have to work through it, but you will learn a procedure that you can use with any database.

Normalization

This is probably more info than you expected, but you did ask, and these are all related to your question. The videos will give you some background and reference knowledge.

Also, Access has some reserved words --Name is one of them.

when Tom is selected in the combo box, I want Cashier, Secur and Mngr to auto populate in the text box.
    A text box should hold one data value, not a series of values. We need to know more about your business and intended database to offer focused advice on "how" to implement something in Access.

Good luck with your project.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.