winginit is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Need to find a way for remote users (1 or 2) to access and edit my Access 2007 database

I am considering using GoToMyPC as a way to do this. The short question is, would this work, or is it a recipe for disaster? Access supports multi-users (in theory anyway). In my previous company we initially had 3 users on a LAN all working on a split mdb, and we had no issues. When the company had grown to 10 users, we began to experience repeated issues with locked records and periodic memo field corruption. Ultimately, I hired a real database administrator/developer (I'm just a non-programmer "hack") and he upsized to sql server which solved those problems. Upsizing is not an option right now for me in my current company.

If I had a LAN now, I am confident Access would work fine with 3 users. But would it work via a VPN like GoToMyPC? I.e., would locked records and periodic memo field corruption be made worse due to increased latency and/or other reasons? The remote users would be "hitting the database" pretty hard, often running batch operations (via macros) that perform sequences of update and append queries.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Unless I'm mistaken, that would allow remote users to access a local PC. It would be as if they were sitting at the PC. As far as Access is concerned, they would be local users. I use Teamviewer all the time, with no issues.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.