reynier09 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Enabling shift bypass

Hi, I just found online that the shift bypass can be enabled from another database. How easy this is? Also I disable the shift in modules and the F11 in macros. Can the F11 be also enabled remotely? I also created a module that once it sees the database is in ACCDE format automatically disables the ribbon, through a form on load. Could I do this too with the shift key to avoid someone remotely enabling it. Thanks.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Here are a couple things I do in extreme cases. However, anything you do will only make things more difficult.

Use a function to disable the shift key. Here is an example. The trick here is to change the names of the functions to something creative and your own.
    Code starts at Steps for an Access database (.mdb or .accdb)
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/826765

Use VBA to Hide objects in your Nav Pane that you do not wish to be accessed.

Create an accde

reynier09 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Thanks for the response but it didn't actually answered my question. All your suggestion I already have them in place. My concern is actually about remote access. Thanks

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by reynier09 View Post
    ... My concern is actually about remote access. Thanks
    I suspected as much when I previously posted. In my experience, these are the steps to take to make things as difficult as possible. I may be missing one or two things that could be applied, depending on environmental factors. However, that is the most concise answer I could think of when considering your quote here. BTW, I place a high priority on using VBA to hide objects.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Is it easy to enable/disable the shift bypass or alter the F11 setting remotely? Yes, if you know how. If you don't it shouldn't take long to Google it and find the code.
    This can be a good thing. You could put the db in a state where you cannot log in yourself due to a coding glitch, db setting, table data issues (wherein the table(s) are not split) or corruption. If you could 100% disable the bypass, you are toast if that happens. I use an "easter egg" to cycle the bypass property, changing a label background color to red so I know when it's enabled.

The topic of Access security is often a hot one. It is my opinion that the most ironclad Access database is still not as good as the least secure sql server product that doesn't use Access as a front end. A poster here once claimed to have an iron clad method, but he declined my offer to try to break it, so all I can say is I know of no 100% secure approach, (I have very little experience with Access Runtime versions so I don't know what degree of lockdown that provides). You can only make it more difficult for the less informed to tamper with as ItsMe said. For those who know enough to be dangerous, we make regular backups.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.