warmslime is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2013

Best book for Advanced VBA?

Hi,
    I think I'm pretty decent when it comes to VBA for Access but I decided I want to dwelve a bit deeper. Does anyone know of a good book that covers intermediate/advanced VBA for Access?I haven't had much luck searching on ebay/amazon.

EDIT: Oops sorry, I think this is in the wrong subforum, if someone can please move it?

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    There is a free video series on VBA Programming by Steve Bishop on Youtube. It has over 70 videos --all well done.
    The series playlist is here.

I looked for a book with some specifics on Class Modules and did not find one. I have found that some of the older books Access Developers Handbook 2000 or 2002 were quite good with vba and had useful examples.

I did buy (used via Amazon) Microsoft Access 2010 Programmer's Reference (Hennig/Cooper/Griffith/Dennison)--it's about 1200 pages and has lots of info. There is a review of the book here.

Watch some of the videos before buying anything.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by orange; 07-10-2016 at 08:34 AM. Reason: added review reference

warmslime is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    There is a free video series on VBA Programming by Steve Bishop on Youtube. It has over 70 videos --all well done.
    The series playlist is here.

I looked for a book with some specifics on Class Modules and did not find one. I have found that some of the older books Access Developers Handbook 2000 or 2002 were quite good with vba and had useful examples.

I did buy (used via Amazon) (Hennig/Cooper/Griffith/Dennison)--it's about 1200 pages and has lots of info.

Watch some of the video before buying anything.
    Good luck.
    Thanks, the thing is, I hate watching videos to learn IT stuff, but I love reading books (for example I read the Access Bible 2016 which is also about 1200 pages long and I loved it even though it took me forever).
    If you say the 2010 programmer reference is good then that's great, I'm gonna read many reviews before I buy anything, I'm not in a rush anyway (I probably won't be done reading the books I currently read till winter).
    Anyone got any more suggestions?

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    It really depends if you are looking for a specific topic --in my view. If you have read Access Bible 2016, then you are probably up to date with the latest offerings. I would not suggest the 2010 Programmer's Reference, if you are now using 2016. In my view none of these manuals (1200 page+) can be read much like a novel. But if that's your preferred approach, I'd go with the latest reviews and make a decision from a point of knowledge.

I find that "learning IT stuff" often requires getting into it and getting your hands dirty. Read a tutorial/concept, then create an example of your own. And for this, also watching a few tutorials can be helpful.

Good luck with your selection and decision.

Just curious --do you work in IT? You seem focused on Access and vba. There seems to be a big push from M$oft toward Access web applications (that don't use vba).

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.