Ekhart is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Replace data when running report

Bear with me as I am new to Access.
    I am trying to find a way to replace data in a column when I run the report. The problem is some of the lines are too long. I may have text similar to 'Iowa City - Iowa Downtown Project 2', Project 3, 4, etc etc. I would like the report to replace 'Iowa City - Iowa Downtown' with 'ICDT'.
    I am not sure if this would require some code or if Access has another method for doing this.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    sounds like a design flaw in you table - limit the number of characters for the field to the number you want to display so the user comes up with a suitable abbreviation themselves.

Otherwise there are four options
    - have a lookup table to maintain the abbreviation
    - or have a calculation to (for example) capture the capital letters, or the first 4 characters that appear after a space and are a capital letter, or appear before the word 'Project'

Both these options will suffer from the same problem - how consistent are the values in this column to provide a value to lookup or calculate on?

The 3rd option is to have another field in your table which the user populates with an abbreviated value

The 4th option is to split the column in the table (and input form) into an abbreviatable part and a non abbreviatable part - which might then work with first two options

A fifth option is to reduce the font size in your report

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.