FoolzRailer is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Alternativ for too many multiple Iif statements?

Hello

I'm trying to count if a certain criteria is met, in this instance if RB is true, it should count it. Now I've got this to work the way it should, when I just had to count based on a few criteria. However the below example exceeds the amount of Iif statements allowed. So my question is, is there another way of doing what i specified without using Iif?

Code:
    SELECT Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.LedningsID, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.OpstroemKnudeID, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.OpstrømsKnudeNavn, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Opstrømsdybde, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.NedstroemKnudeID, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Nedstrømsdybde, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.NedstrømsKnudeNavn, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Laengde, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Handelsmaal, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Materiale, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.TVObsKode, 

Count(IIf([TVObs].[TVObsKode]="RB",True,IIf([TVObs].[TVObsKode]="OB",True,IIf([TVObs].[TVObsKode]="PF",True,IIf([TVObs].[TVObsKode]="DE",True,IIf([TVObs].[TVObsKode]="FS",True,IIf([TVObs].[TVObsKode]="IS",True,IIf([TVObs].[TVObsKode]="RØ",True,IIf([TVObs].[TVObsKode]="IN",True,IIf([TVObs].[TVObsKode]="AF",True,IIf([TVObs].[TVObsKode]="BE",True,IIf([TVObs].[TVObsKode]="FO",True,IIf([TVObs].[TVObsKode]="GR",True,IIf([TVObs].[TVObsKode]="PH",True,IIf([TVObs].[TVObsKode]="PB",True,IIf([TVObs].[TVObsKode]="OS",True,IIf([TVObs].[TVObsKode]="OP",True,IIf([TVObs].[TVObsKode]="OK",True,Null)))))))))))))))))) AS [Antal Observationer]

FROM Rorenes_tilstand, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger

GROUP BY Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.LedningsID, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.OpstroemKnudeID, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.OpstrømsKnudeNavn, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Opstrømsdybde, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.NedstroemKnudeID, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Nedstrømsdybde, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.NedstrømsKnudeNavn, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Laengde, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Handelsmaal, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Materiale, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.TVObsKode

ORDER BY Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.LedningsID;
    Picture belows shows, that the marked LedningsID 411 has 1 FS and 1 RB. Where as LedningsID 391 has 2 RB.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Udklip.PNG 
Views:	13 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	24793

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    google

'access vba switch function'

and

'access vba choose function'

for some alternatives

also strongly advise you use aliasing to reduce the size of the table names to make the code more readable

FROM Rorenes_tilstand AS R, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger AS S

orange is online now Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Picture belows shows, that the marked LedningsID 411 has 1 FS and 1 RB. Where as LedningsID 391 has 2 RB.
    According to the picture both 411 and 391 have 1 FS and 1RB????

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    What is the information you are trying to get here? It looks like you are trying to find all LedningsID that have duplicate values for TVObsKode - is that correct?

Windows 8 Access 2013
    For a ledningsID lets say 391, I need to count how many times there is an RB, PH, FS, IS or VA. In the above picture, it has countet that ledningsID has 1 FS and 2 RB.
    In a following query (which I haven't shown) it concatenates the data, so there is only one instance of 391 with one field that says "FS: 1, RB: 2".

This all works when I only have a small amount of Iifs as above. But when I want to add that it should also count RØ, PR, SO, KB, LM (or something similar) the expression gets too complex.

To translate the above:
    LedningsID = Pipe ID
    RB = Cracks in pipes

So a pipe can have several cracks and many pipes can have cracks (RB).

Hope this helps to clarify?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    This all works when I only have a small amount of Iifs as above. But when I want to add that it should also count RØ, PR, SO, KB, LM (or something similar) the expression gets too complex.
    did you read post#2?

Windows 8 Access 2013
    #6 Just did a quick Google, but got dumped with a lot of work at my job. Will give it a thorough look over the weekend, but I have to admit VBA is not my strong side

John_G is offline VIP
    Ok, I think I see what you want. You need a query which produces the output in the picture, am I right? In that case its easy, you don't need an Iif at all, all you need is a Count:

Code:
    SELECT Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.LedningsID, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.OpstroemKnudeID, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.OpstrømsKnudeNavn, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Opstrømsdybde, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.NedstroemKnudeID, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Nedstrømsdybde, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.NedstrømsKnudeNavn, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Laengde, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Handelsmaal, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Materiale, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.TVObsKode, count(TVObsKote)AS [Antal Observationer]

GROUP BY Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.LedningsID, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.OpstroemKnudeID, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.OpstrømsKnudeNavn, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Opstrømsdybde, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.NedstroemKnudeID, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Nedstrømsdybde, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.NedstrømsKnudeNavn, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Laengde, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Handelsmaal, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Materiale, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.TVObsKode

I have highlighted the change in bold.

I think this should work for you.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Hello again, it appears this did the trick, if you have more comments/suggestions on alternatives (still looking into the VBA later) I'm open for smarter ways

Sum(IIf([TVObs].[TVObsKode] IN ("RB", "FO", "FS", "IN", "IS", "FS", "PH", "RØ", "ÅS", "VA", "OB", "PF", "DE", "AF", "BE", "GR", "PB", "OS", "OP", "OK"),1,0)) AS [Antal Observationer]

@#8 I was typing as you were, but yes that is exactly what I was going for. I will look at your suggestion, thanks for the help

John_G is offline VIP
    If you want the total number of observations for each LedningsID, but don't need it broken down by different TVObsCode values, jusr remove TVObsCode from the Select and Group by parts:

Code:
    SELECT Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.LedningsID, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.OpstroemKnudeID, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.OpstrømsKnudeNavn, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Opstrømsdybde, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.NedstroemKnudeID, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Nedstrømsdybde, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.NedstrømsKnudeNavn, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Laengde, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Handelsmaal, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Materiale, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.TVObsKode, count(TVObsKote)AS [Antal Observationer]

Remove the parts indicated in Red to get:

Code:
    SELECT Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.LedningsID, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.OpstroemKnudeID, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.OpstrømsKnudeNavn, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Opstrømsdybde, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.NedstroemKnudeID, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Nedstrømsdybde, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.NedstrømsKnudeNavn, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Laengde, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Handelsmaal, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Materiale, count(TVObsKote)AS [Antal Observationer]

GROUP BY Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.LedningsID, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.OpstroemKnudeID, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.OpstrømsKnudeNavn, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Opstrømsdybde, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.NedstroemKnudeID, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Nedstrømsdybde, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.NedstrømsKnudeNavn, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Laengde, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Handelsmaal, Sanering_af_hoved_og_stikledninger.Materiale

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.