tbutters is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Hyperlink to a specific Field/Cell?

Hi All, I'm a complete newb to Access, and I'm putting together a DB to organize a number of scientific journals and some key information therein.

I basically have 4 tables: one for each of three types of article. Each of these tables will contain the relevant data from the papers. The fourth table has summaries of each paper.

I've linked each summary to the relevant pdf. Now, I want to do two things, which I'm hoping are relatively basic: I want each data point to link to the appropriate summary in the 4th table. I also want to be able to manipulate the data in the first three tables for graphs, charts, etc. Can Access read the text of a field defined as a hyperlink as a numeric value? (I hope!) Or, can a field hold both a link and a value? If not, I can duplicate these tables; one with the data and the other with the links, but would obviously prefer to keep it to the 4 tables.

It does not need to expand beyond this scope; but more journals will likely be added.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

kimmer is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Quote Originally Posted by tbutters View Post
    I want each data point to link to the appropriate summary in the 4th table.
    what data points?

Windows XP Access 2007
    The three main tables have data charted for different timepoints and different stains, e.g:

15 m 30 m 45 m 1 hr 2 hr . . .
    A x y z
    B w s d
    C f g h
    D j k

Each lower case letter would be a numeric value. I want to have these hyperlink to a specific row in the 4th table, which would be the summary of the paper the values are taken from. I also want the numbers to be calculated, but I'm not sure if that's possible with a hyperlink field type.
    I hope that is a bit clearer. Thanks!

sorry, not clearer. Is the illustration with the upper and lower case letters a table or a graph?

Are three of your tables identical in structure?
    Is this correct: within those three tables, you want to link each value in a record to a separate record in the 4th table?... not link a record in Table1 to a record in Table4, but a field in Table1 to a record in Table4, and a different field in Table1 to a different record in Table4?

Windows XP Access 2007
    The illustration is supposed to show a table. Three of the tables are identical in structure. If a record is an "individual cell," i.e one row of one column, then I want to link each record in the three tables to a single record in the 4th table. I'm so sorry my terminology is so wrong!

Oh, and i guess the forum ate my formatting on my "illustration," no wonder it didn't help clear this up!

It is incorrect to have duplicate tables. It is incorrect to have column labels that should be data instead. It is incorrect to connect values or records to each other via hyperlinks. In a table, a record is a row.

Access is a tool to assist you in creating a relational database.

My advice: read and learn about relational databases and normalization. Don't even open Access until you understand basic table design principles.

In PowerPoint and even Word and Excel, you can just open the product and get to business, but Access isn't like that at all. Designing a database is complex but very interesting. Learn how to properly design a database, then plan this specific database, and only then open the software.

Here is a link to get you started:

http://r937.com/relational.html

Windows XP Access 2007
    I appreciate the advice, But you're the one deciding what Access is or isn't like. If It is possible for me to do what I'm asking, even if it flies in the face of proper syntax or design, couldn't you just let me know?

I only have two simple questions about specific hyperlinks: Can they link to a particular row in a record, and can a data entry be a hyperlink? Thanks.

you're the one deciding what Access is or isn't like.
    LOL, I haven't decided anything; I've only stated facts, with the sole motive of being helpful to you. I wasn't aware that you were only interested in someone solving your problem for you, and uninterested in learning anything.

I only have two simple questions about specific hyperlinks: Can they link to a particular row in a record, and can a data entry be a hyperlink?
    No and no.

Windows XP Access 2007
    You did state facts, but you also had lies of omission. I wish I had the time to properly learn the structure, but sadly I don't. Thanks for the answers though, thats exactly what I needed. I guess I will have to figure out another way.

If by any chance you aren't honest about the no & no, I would appreciate you letting me know, even if I have to go elsewhere to find out how. I really didn't mean to snub you in any way.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.