jimdharris is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Database demands a password when the 'Compact and repair' button clicked.

Long standing database with a password; for space reasons the user does a 'Compact and Repair' monthly. User's computer has just upgraded to Windows 10, and now the database demands a Password at that point. But the password which is used to open the database is not accepted. The database is still usable with the proper password, changes can be made to data and design etc - but not Compact and Repair. How do I unlock this glitch?
    Any help gratefully received!

Jimdharris
    Apologies - my profile needed updating. We are on Access 2016, and now Windows 10

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    have you tried removing the password to see if you can then compact and repair? Also is data in a backend? If so which are you trying to compact? front end or back end?

Windows 8 Access 2016
    Hi Ajax
    I cannot remove the password! The Access Help on passwords tells me to open the database in Exclusive mode, which I have done, and then to go Info>Decrypt database. However the only 2 options on the Info button are Compact and Repair, and Encrypt with Password. Neither of these options will accept the true database password, which I have had to use to open it up!
    Data is not in a back end - all in together.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Data is not in a back end - all in together.
    that is probably be the reason for your problem if you have multiple users. What version of Access is your user using? Also, can you open a new database and copy objects (assuming it accepts the password)

Windows 8 Access 2016
    Not multiple users - single user only, so little point in separating data into a back end. User's PC is Access 2010. I use Office365 (I'm using a copy of the database emailed to me) and get the same symptoms.
    I'm wondering if I have to revert to a backed up copy from a few days ago before the problem occurred.
    Yes I could create a blank database and copy objects. Could I copy the whole data structure and all the rest into a new file without password?
    What is baffling is that Access seems to have a split mind - it demands and accepts a password to open the file, but then has no option to remove a password, but does have an option to add a password (which won't accept any new password I give it - simply says this is not a valid password).

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Could I copy the whole data structure and all the rest into a new file without password?
    yes

but then has no option to remove a password, but does have an option to add a password
    To be clear - which password are you talking about? the one that encrypts the whole database, or the one that protect the vba code?

Windows 8 Access 2016
    I only know of the existence of the password which (I think) protects the whole database and encrypts it.
    Where does one set/unset the vba password?
    AS you can tell I am not an Access professional - but our database has done us brilliant service for 8 years.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Where does one set/unset the vba password?
    in the vba window Tools>Properties

Windows 8 Access 2016
    Many thanks Ajax for your help.
    I have restored the database to its former successful state by creating a new blank database, copying all the elements from the 'broken' database into it, closing it, then opening it exclusive, and setting a password. Now Compact and Repair works, and the password icon is Decrypt, as it should be.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.