vanthien is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003

How to fix botched reference to wrong MSAccess Object Library

Hi,

I have an MSAccess 2003 (Office 11) database, running on a terminal server. When opening this db, i get an error message which leads me to the References. Here I see that the Microsoft Access Object Library it references is a NEWER version (Office 14) which is not compatible with this Office 11 App.

I can't seem to add the Office 11 Object library to the list of available references, and I can't remove the Office 14 Object Library, as it tells me it is in use. Even when i close all forms and modules, it won't allow me to uncheck it.

How do I switch from Microsoft Access 14.0 Object Library to Microsoft Access 11.0 Object Library?

Thanks for any suggestions,
    Frank :-)

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013
    I assume you have access to the MDB. Have you tried opening it while holding down a <SHIFT> key?

Yes, I did that. Maybe I'm taking the wrong route to get to the References... I open the VB editor (Code) to access References, which is when it opens the code for several (all?) forms, locking the Object Library...
    Is there another way to get to References, without opening the VBA editor?

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013
    Do you have code in a Form Module or a Standard Module. If so you can just open that Form or Standard Module and get to the References.

Yes, I can get to the references, but I cannot link the 11.0 Object Library, nor can I unlink the 14.0 OL. I get an error message, saying that it is in use.

davegri is offline Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Get out of Access. Do CTRL-ALT-DELETE to get to task manager. See if there is an instance (or two) of Access still running. If, so, kill them. In any case, reboot and try to set your references again.

no desktop

Quote Originally Posted by davegri View Post
    Get out of Access. Do CTRL-ALT-DELETE to get to task manager. See if there is an instance (or two) of Access still running. If, so, kill them. In any case, reboot and try to set your references again.
    Unfortunately that's not possible. I don't have desktop access to the terminal server.
    I think I may have to go back to an earlier backup, from when it was still working fine, and restore from there.

Interesting . . .
    This appears to be a complication caused by multiple versions of Office on the terminal server in question. Office 11 is only there to accommodate this aging database (which is slated for an upgrade) and other apps run on newer versions of Office.

The app in question exists in THREE iterations: PROD, DLVR and TEST, each independent without any links between them; just mirror images of each other (except for data).
    DLVR and TEST are on the same server, PROD is on its own server.
    Both DLVR and PROD have the correct reference to the 11.0 Object Library, while TEST does not.

I start TEST (the dysfunctional one, referencing Microsoft Access 14.0 Object Library), then close the App, but NOT the MSAccess process. Next I create a NEW, empty database (named DB14.mdb), I see that the Object Library is 14.0 and close the database.

Now I start DLVR (same server, 11.0 Object Library), and close the app but not the MSAccess process. I then open the previously created DB14.mdb and when I check the References it turns out that it uses the 11.0 Object Library.

In other words, the Microsoft Access Object Library is determined by the MSAccess process, not by the app I open within that process.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.