rwboggess2 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit

Front End works on one computer but not another

I have been struggling with this one for over 12 hours and haven’t made any headway. I am not a programmer by trade and definitely do not consider myself an expert – I am more of an individual with just enough Access knowledge to get myself into trouble. Also, I apologize in advance if this in the wrong forum category but this was my best guess. With that said…

I have developed a database that imports data from an Excel spreadsheet and allows the user to either review that data in Access or print a report. I have placed the data in a shared folder and split the database so that the front end will resided in the same folder on each end-user computer. Trust has been established for that folder on each machine. There are no database passwords; and using the same operating system (Windows 7 Pro) and same Access (2007).

The database and application side has been developed on my machine and works perfectly with the data split and residing on the shared server location; and the application working in the same working directory that is on everyone else’s computer.

At this point the application opens up on the client’s computer with no problem but when I select the menu button to open a form, the screen flickers once and does not do anything. At that point clicking the mouse anywhere within the Access screen causes a “beep” but nothing happens. To exit I have to go to the task manager and kill the application. If I re-open the application and open up the target form in designer, making no changes, and save, it works fine. If I try another form, it does the same thing until I open up that form in designer and save…

Any ideas?? I am stumped..:-(

Bob

CJ_London is offline VIP
    step through the code - it may be there is an error message but hidden behind the access window

Well...I tried putting a 'stop' and that didn't work. So...I hit the <SHIFT> <F4> key when a message window popped up "You didn't specify search critera with a Findrecord action. In the Micro Window, insert a FindRecord action before the Findnext action." Strange, though...I used the Embedded Micro builder, tied to a button click event to OpenForm, and the target form is a unbound form.

Still stuck...

Bob

CJ_London is offline VIP
    sounds like you are using macros which I don't so can't help with them.

Something has to be different between your development machine and user machines - are you using mapped drives or UNC codes to link to the back end?

Have you tried copying across your working copy again?

Even tho' the front end is in a trusted location - I presume you have not had to enable the code?

Drive is mapped but it is mapped the same way across all machines (as P: drive). I removed the links and imported the tables back into the frontend so that data and frontend are all together, and tried again, and getting the same message. This one has me really baffled - never ran across this stubborn of a problem before on the non-development machine...

Bob

I think I found it!!!

In each of the forms I was having problems with, I had to go into properties and say NO to each of the following: Allow Datasheet View, Allow PivotTable View, Allow PrivotChart View, and Allow Layout View.

That seems to take care of the problem on at least 3 of the forms. Still testing the rest of them on and trying a couple of other machines as well.

Bob

That appears to have fixed it -- now on to the next problem - filters not working on one computer while they work on the developement computer...

Never ending it seems

Bob

CJ_London is offline VIP
    are your users using runtime or you are supplying them with a .accdr front end? if so all shortcut menus will be disabled, but you can recreate them as you require

I'm providing the users with the .accdr front end with each user running Microsoft Office Access 2007 - the same software version on which the database was created...all the more reason I am preplexed. I am sure it is probablly some checkbox that is checked (or unchecked) somewhere that says ignore this or do this on my machone but don't ignore or do this on the other machines. I have even tried it on my own personal laptop which is actually running Access 2010 and it does the same thing as the other client machines...until I made the change with the Allows...

Bob

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.