Daezle is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Expression Builder and Count

Hi All,

I just joined the forum as I'm going to be using quite a lot of new queries over the next few months, but I've become a bit stuck so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

I want to count each record in a row only if it is not null. So basically i want to end up with a calculated column that shows me what % of the target other columns are complete (not null).

Unique Order Number Colour Paper Size Cost % Complete
    1 Red A4 75%
    2 Blue A3 2.75 100%
    A2 3.00 50%
    4 25%

I've tried using the count function and still can't manage to get it right. This is the latest attempt to simply count the non-null values (in the expression builder):

Expr1: Sum(IIf(IsNull([table1]![UniqueOrderNumber]),0,1)+IIf(IsNull([table1]![Colour]),0,1)+IIf(IsNull([table1]![PaperSize]),0,1)+IIf(IsNull([table1]![Cost]),0,1))

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

David
    Last edited by Daezle; 03-31-2016 at 07:11 AM.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    2 queries: 1 counts null rows, 1 counts not null.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    I've tried using the count function and still can't manage to get it right. This is the latest attempt to simply count the non-null values (in the expression builder):

Expr1: Sum(IIf(IsNull([table1]![UniqueOrderNumber]),0,1)+IIf(IsNull([table1]![Colour]),0,1)+IIf(IsNull([table1]![PaperSize]),0,1)+IIf(IsNull([table1]![Cost]),0,1))
    Instead of adding those values inside your SUM statement, try multiplying them. Then, it will only return 1 if all are NOT null, but if any are null, it will return zero and won't be included in your count.

EDIT: OP changed the wording of their original question, rendering this reply pretty much worthless, as it was based on the original wording.

Daezle is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeM View Post
    Instead of adding those values inside your SUM statement, try multiplying them. Then, it will only return 1 if all are NOT null, but if any are null, it will return zero and won't be included in your count.
    Thanks for your response Joe, that does work for the intended purpose but not quite what i originally wanted. I've edited my post to correct the wording.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Thanks for your response Joe, that does work for the intended purpose but not quite what i originally wanted. I've edited my post to correct the wording.
    In the future, it is probably best to just clarify it in a response, and not go back and change the original wording, as that pretty much can kill the flow of the thread and makes previous responses look out-of-place and confusing.

If you simply want to know for each record the percent that is complete, just add up your IIF statements and divide by 4, i.e.
    Code:
    Expr1: (IIf(IsNull([table1]![UniqueOrderNumber]),0,1)+IIf(IsNull([table1]![Colour]),0,1)+IIf(IsNull([table1]![PaperSize]),0,1)+IIf(IsNull([table1]![Cost]),0,1))/4
    Note, you would NOT use SUM on this function. In Access, you only use SUM when aggregating multiple records, not multiple fields within a single record.

Daezle is offline Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeM View Post
    In the future, it is probably best to just clarify it in a response, and not go back and change the original wording, as that pretty much can kill the flow of the thread and makes previous responses look out-of-place and confusing.

If you simply want to know for each record the percent that is complete, just add up your IIF statements and divide by 4, i.e.
    Code:
    Expr1: (IIf(IsNull([table1]![UniqueOrderNumber]),0,1)+IIf(IsNull([table1]![Colour]),0,1)+IIf(IsNull([table1]![PaperSize]),0,1)+IIf(IsNull([table1]![Cost]),0,1))/4
    Note, you would NOT use SUM on this function. In Access, you only use SUM when aggregating multiple records, not multiple fields within a single record.
    Thanks for clarifying. That is what i was looking for thank you very much JoeM.

NoellaG is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Hi,

tip: instead the Iff(Isnull(.... construction, try the NZ function

JoeM is offline VIP
    tip: instead the Iff(Isnull(.... construction, try the NZ function
    Since they need to return either a 1 or 0, I am not sure that helps in this scenario.
    NZ will return either the value or some other designated value if the value is Null.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.