chipongw is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

HELP needed. "Run-time error '-2146500594 (800f000e)': Method 'Item' of object 'Forms' failed"

Run-time error '-2146500594 (800f000e)': Method 'Item' of object 'Forms' failed
    Hi all, I have received the above error message and unable to find out the cause of it. I hope somebody here can make a suggestion.

Here is the story. I am working on a laptop with Win 7 Pro x64. The Windows native Language is Chinese Traditional with supports for English and Simplified Chinese simultaneously. I have been working for weeks building a new database for my client. My client is running a Surface 3Pro with Win 10 in Chinese Simplified with supports for English. Both Access are identical 2007 SP3.

Last week, we started testing some of the basic functions and workflow. Then we got the above error message when we opened a form. The mechanism was to open a second form with a click of button in the first form. In the Mouse Up event of the button, I also specify how the properties of the some of the second forms' buttons and labels should behave. The code runs good in my laptop, but it does not work on my client's Surface3Pro. The debug highlighted this code and it looks like Access doesn't recognize "Forms!" in my client's computer.

DoCmd.OpenForm "frm_Input"
    Forms!frm_Input.cmd_Print.Visible = False

I have been using this method for years and I have not experienced this error before. It is highly appreciate if somebody can give me a suggestion on where to look for a fix?

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013
    Try using a dot "." instead of the bang "!": Forms.frm_Input.cmd_Print.Visible = False
    There may also be a timing issue with the Surface 3 Pro. Try adding a DoEvents after the OpenForm to give it some time to get open.

I have just created three testing databases with only 2 forms to find out the reaction. Each with a different syntax about '!' and '.'. By clicking a button, it opens a new form2, close form1, change the form2 button visible to true, and vice versa. All three works on the Surface 3 Pro. This drives me crazy.
    1) Forms!frm_Input.cmd_Print.Visible = True
    2) Forms!frm_Input!cmd_Print.Visible = True
    3) Forms.frm_Input.cmd_Print.Visible = True

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 10 Access 2013
    Sorry but I'm fresh out of ideas. Maybe someone else will drop by with a suggestion.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    If the second line a workaround might be to put the second line in the open event of the form - and if it is conditional, pass a boolean value via openargs in the openform command

redbull is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I have a stupid idea.
    Since the client is using a surface pro, essentially a tablet.
    Do tablets treat fingers and stylus' as a traditional mouse?
    At this point I'm grasping at theoretical straws here, but what if you changed the event to something non-mouse related?

Like I said, stupid idea.

I tried a workaround method like Ajax suggested. Use the Switchboard to carry a field that stores an integer. This integer serves as a command. Then, the newly opened form "transforms" itself On Open according to a select case of the Switchboard integer. Now, I don't have the Run-time error '-2146500594 (800f000e)'.

But the database still does not run on the Surface 3 Pro. I receive a new error. "Run-time error '2501' The OpenForm action was canceled."

Again. The database is working fine on my Win7 + Access 2007.

I will try some DoEvents next.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    the openform cancelled error is often related to a recordsource and/or filter error which cannot be resolved so the form is closed.

I would check your SQL for the recordsource - wouldn't be something simple like the backends have a difference?

The depressing part is that it works totally fine on my Win7

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I'd try what redbull suggested too. Have you tried using the ON CLICK event rather than a MOUSE UP event to see if that affects the performance? I haven't worked with devices but there may be a difference in the behavior if the client is using a touch screen as opposed to a device (mouse).

also try something like this

Code:
    dim ctl as control

set ctl = forms!formname!controlname
    debug.print "GOT HERE"
    with ctl
        .visible = true
    end with
    set ctl = nothing
    to see if you can just define the control

or perhaps

me.controls("controlname").visible = true

or

forms("formname").controls("controlname).visible = true

LebaneseBaker is offline Novice
    It seems that some causes of this error come from the back end. I once got this error "Run-time error '-2146500594 (800f000e)' in one of the most used forms and after many trials in front end and vba coding with no result I discovered later that the error was the result of adding a field by the "copy and past method" in the back end. I changed the field type then I changed the type again to the same previous type, every thing then ran smoothly. It seems it was an internal MSaccess error caused by the way MSaccess sorts or save fields internally

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.