louise is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

can a field have an alias that is a blank or an email address?

Hello,

I have not been able to figure out an elegant way to send emails to a list of people from Access, so I have resorted to this: have Outlook opened but minimized, click a button on a menu opens a query with the desired emails. ...copy the email column...click on Outlook. . . paste into bcc: but but but:
    Then you have to use the keyboard up arrow to run up to the top of the list and delete the field name, e.g., PersonEmail. (The emails in the list are appropriately separated by a comma or semi-colon so that is not an issue.)

So, I wonder if there is a way in the query to make an alias that is either blank or the office email -- i.e., something to make this last clumsy step unnecessary? I have made a few tries with no success.

Also, can you suggest something better?

Thanks!

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    What about the table that holds the emails,...can you add a field for [alias]?

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    I haven't had to send emails from within Access, but emailing from Access is a common topic. Have you searched?
    I just saw a post by Gina Maylone with code sample.....

louise is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    A belated addition to my original question about sending emails from Access:
    I have improved on my inelegant approach and answered the question I posed here:

The general approach is this:

- Use a query to get the records with the emails that you want (In my case, I also include in the query names, addresses, and phones -- to offer a convenient way to see how to contact those without emails.
    I sort by "email" so those without emails are at the top of the query spreadsheet.)

- Then, copy the email column, go to your email program...new message...and paste the emails into the bcc: line. Add your own name to the To: line.

BUT, you have the problem of the field name at the beginning of the column causing an error, e.g., MembEmail, (And you can't copy the Access column without the header.) You can run to the top of the list with the up arrow in the bcc: line but that can be difficult, especially if it's a long list, and hard to tell someone else how to do it.

- - **So...Here is the simple solution to this problem: In the query, rename the email field to a semi-colon. Outlook, at least, accepts a semi-colon without an error (and, btw, the blank lines of people without emails).

Here is the expression, to go in the Field (top) column: ;:MembEmail

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.