DougsGraphics is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Question Open report to selected record in context of full report

Purpose of this database is to track requirements from requirement documents into implementing documents. Each document is loaded in and parsed into individual requirement statements, non-requirement stuff, headings, etc. When documenting the implementation of the resulting requirement statements, it is necessary to be able to readily show the context of the requirement statement, i.e., show the document with the selected requirement text highlighted. This is done by displaying a re-compiled document (a report) with some rich text formatting applied (see image). I can highlight the requirement that was active when the report was opened, but often, the report could be very long and I would like to somehow jump the display to the active record, but I need to still show the full report. Anyone have ideas as to how to do this?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	report.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	24044
    Much appreciated!

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    I don't believe it can be done as you describe....other than some fragile and complicate Send Key approach which one couldn't recommend.

The only thing I might suggest, if these paragraphs are separate records, would be to pop up a 2nd report which is based on a query record source that contains just the record you seek to emphasize....perhaps with appropriate labeling/explanation....

DougsGraphics is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    Quote Originally Posted by NTC View Post
    I don't believe it can be done as you describe....other than some fragile and complicate Send Key approach which one couldn't recommend.

The only thing I might suggest, if these paragraphs are separate records, would be to pop up a 2nd report which is based on a query record source that contains just the record you seek to emphasize....perhaps with appropriate labeling/explanation....
    I already highlight the current record, so it is a matter of paging through the report to find it which generally isn't too bad, but it sure would be nice to just jump to the right page and save the user some extra work. But as you note, it doesn't seem like there is a straight-forward way to do it. That said, I had to ask in case somebody has had to address something like this before.

I did think about just finding the records preceding the current record up one indent level and following to the same next indent level as a way to just identify the context at hand, and I might just go there so that in the 40-50 page long requirement sets, the user doesn't have to struggle to locate the current one.

Thanks for the response.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.