mchadwick is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Access 2010 - Query - Send email form to people to update information in DB

I have been using a query for over a year now to send a form to users to update the data in the fields. It has worked well baring a couple of issues here and there. However, this time I am having a difficult time figuring out what the issue is. I can see what is happening, but I don't know why.

Before the issue I would send email forms to people using create email from the External Data tab. It would ask me a series of related questions and I would answer them all. One of those questions is Do you want to want to update existing data or gather new data. I always select update existing data. The data for the most part has not changed at all in some time. However, the option to update data is no longer an option. When I click on the set Properties to control the automatic processing of replies link the option "Only allow updates to existing data" is greyed out. So the fields are blank when the users receive the form. The email address is in the query and I can create a new DB and the option is there, but for this db I cant see it. I have tried to recreate the query that filters the data, but still have the issue. From this database I have created a new query based on other data and it works as expected. Just this data is an issue.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    have you got a sample database? or tried running the db from another machine? it's possible this may be a setup issue with ms outlook rather than with ms access. Have you checked any updates that have occurred since this started happening? if you have automatic updates turned on one of the updates may have made this option go away pending some security setting reset.

Hi rpeare, thanks for your response. I have tested the DB and new DBs on the same box and they all work fine. For what ever reason, the table we are working with seems to either think all the data is new or there is no data. I don't have a sample db, it's way too big and I can create something that works fine. It's just this table that has the issue. I am going to try to open a new DB and link to the table to see if I have the same problem. I'm hoping I wont need to backup the table and delete it.

I found the issue, some how or another the table lost it's primary key. when I was recreating the table to test it I noticed it when comparing the 2.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.