Bkper087 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Online Multi-User Database Option

After using Access now for a number of years as a desktop database, I am looking for a tool that I can use over the internet. I work for a non profit where we regularly share information with our office as well as the volunteers who help us. We have been using Google Documents for this purpose; however, I think a database would add some long-missing functionality to our operation. After some quick research it doesn't seem that Access is able to accomplish this task. Are there other programs or web based clients you might recommend that would be able to do this?

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    You have a few options

1. Use a sharepoint database (web enabled database). I have not had any experience with sharepoint but I know it costs an annual fee based on users (at least the last time I looked). your database would be limited to what you can run with macros though, I don't think web enabled databases are able to use VBA. This is only available for access 2010 and up.
    2. Use a 'free' database back end and build a front end using some other web language (I don't do this much at all so someone would be able to comment better than I could)
    3. Keep using your current setup but 'export' information to your external users on a regular basis (weekly?) They could have their own copy of the database with runtime components (they wouldn't need a full version of Access to run it) which could import the data and they could peruse it/look at reports/etc.

It really depends on what your external users need, do they need to modify the data or just look at it, if it's just to review it I'd probably go with the last option, otherwise you're looking at a lot of setup which could be a challenge especially if you don't have any expertise on hand.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.