ethan.geerdes is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Creating a database for end user data entry Access 2003

Hello everyone,I have been looking through forum after forum trying to find my answer and now I have finally decided to submit a quesiton. I am trying to create a database that will allow end users to submit information. My client has a whole wide variety of computer systems for instance Windows XP, Windows 7, Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 5, RHEL 6, Solaris... etc. They want to track all the Security Updates that are applied/that will be applied. For pre-existing security patches, they want the actual name of the patch, the date it was rolled out, and a description of what the patch does but they want their IT department to be able to mark whether or not it is complete or not but they don't want them to screw up any of the information in the database of the pre-existing security patches so what should I do to make sure they can't mess that information? Thank you for the advice in advance.Sincerely,Ethan

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Give them a front end that has forms that are set to read-only.
    use SNAPSHOT for recordsettype in all queries
    and set the properties

allowedits = no
    allowdeletions = no
    allowadditions = no

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    well if you want end users to be able to enter information - but not change it; there are a couple of ways to implement that depending on what type of user interface experience is best. R256 has posted some points. One can set a form property to be data entry only - and it will always open to a blank screen for data entry. Then you can have a 2nd form with the properties posted by R256 that allows no changes. And then I presume a form for the IT staff that can change things - and perhaps this form opening is password protected or perhaps even in a separate front end file.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.