ee7 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Developer needs database files

Our company is going from an access database that was developed in 1996 to a web based quoting system. The developers have told me that they need access to the database files so that they can transfer it over into the new system. How do I find out where those files are stored so that I can send them to the developer. Also I will need to make a copy of the database for them as everybody in the office is running off of an un-broken out tables set up of this database and we cannot stop using this database while they are working in it. I apologize for being so ignorant on the subject. Any help would be highly appreciated.

RAshA.pro777 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    The access database store the data in tables related in relationships together, according to the structure of it..so, the developers wont this data to export it to web based quoting system, all you can to do is to send the access db which continuing the data or you can export the the tables in to excel and send it

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    How do I find out where those files are stored so that I can send them to the developer
    if it is 1996 then you will be looking for a .mdb file. Also depends in whether your db is split or not (tables will be in the backend if split) and whether you have multiple backends

try searching the windows directory for file types .mdb

Do you have a backup procedure? if so, you presumably know where the backups are stored - send one of those.

If no backup, how do you open it at the moment? If from a shortcut, look at the shortcut properties to see the path to the front end

When you open the front end, can you see the navigation window? or the menu bar? (if not, try holding down the shift key before opening the application) if the former, look at the tables - hover over a table and the path to the backend will be displayed. If the latter, click on the external data tab and select the linked table manager, again you will see the path to the backend.

If your original developer built in security to hide these things, then you will probably need a professional to hunt these things out.

As Rasha says, if you are continuing to use the db whilst the web solution is being developed, the developers copy will soon be out of date - but you can send the latest file and they will be able to refresh the data when it is time to go live after testing.

ee7 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    if it is 1996 then you will be looking for a .mdb file. Also depends in whether your db is split or not (tables will be in the backend if split) and whether you have multiple backends

try searching the windows directory for file types .mdb

Do you have a backup procedure? if so, you presumably know where the backups are stored - send one of those.

If no backup, how do you open it at the moment? If from a shortcut, look at the shortcut properties to see the path to the front end

When you open the front end, can you see the navigation window? or the menu bar? (if not, try holding down the shift key before opening the application) if the former, look at the tables - hover over a table and the path to the backend will be displayed. If the latter, click on the external data tab and select the linked table manager, again you will see the path to the backend.

If your original developer built in security to hide these things, then you will probably need a professional to hunt these things out.

As Rasha says, if you are continuing to use the db whilst the web solution is being developed, the developers copy will soon be out of date - but you can send the latest file and they will be able to refresh the data when it is time to go live after testing.
    Thank you both for the great tips. I found the tables and sent those off to the developer. He says that he needs access to the queries. Is that just part of the front end as in if I just send him the file for the main application they should be located in there? He wants access to our in office server so that they can work off of the database and queries from there. I would prefer that they have their own test database and not fiddle with ours while it is still in use. Thank you so very much for help. I greatly appreciate it.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.