delkath is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Question on Macro to automate file import

I am in the process of creating some new steps and tables for my employer. I know how to create an excel import macro, but before I tackle that I am curious to know; Once I have my table created with example columns; Vendor, Account, Cust, Cost, Address etc etc.. I go and create my MSAccess macro to import an excel file to that table. Does the excel file have to have the same column layout as the table, or will simply having the excel Column Names being identical to the Access Column names be enough to tell Access which column should go where?

Hope that made sense

Quote Originally Posted by delkath View Post
    Does the excel file have to have the same column layout as the table, or will simply having the excel Column Names being identical to the Access Column names be enough to tell Access which column should go where?

Hope that made sense
    Layout is not important in the excel. If you match the column heads in your excel file, with the field names in your table the import will go through.

Datagopherdan is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    One of the things that you want to look out for with an Excel import is the data types. Whatever the first line of data's format is in the spreadsheet, that's what Access will use for the data format. It's always best to import to a temp table and then append the data to a formatted table.

Quote Originally Posted by delkath View Post
    I am in the process of creating some new steps and tables for my employer. I know how to create an excel import macro, but before I tackle that I am curious to know; Once I have my table created with example columns; Vendor, Account, Cust, Cost, Address etc etc.. I go and create my MSAccess macro to import an excel file to that table. Does the excel file have to have the same column layout as the table, or will simply having the excel Column Names being identical to the Access Column names be enough to tell Access which column should go where?

Hope that made sense

delkath is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

thanks!

worked like a charm. thank you!

Datagopherdan is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Glad you got it working.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.