jnoonan22 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Question TempVars Slowing Down Query?

I put together an "input form" with a macro button. It's very simple, using combo boxes in cascading order to allow a user to input query paramaters (as TempVars) and hit the macro button which then closes the form and runs the query with the TempVars applied as criteria to the query fields. For the time being, the query is really simple; no formulas or anything in fields, yet after running it with TempVars, it slowed down dramatically. Is there a reason for this?

Typically, i would have passed criteria to the query by simply adding a [Value?] in the various query fields needed but this query has a lot of possible values that can be entered and i thought an input form with limited combo box selections would be more friendly for users.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    I do not have experience with TempVars. I have always dimensioned the appropriate sized variable. I have avoided the use of TempVars because of their size. I have always considered them to be expensive.

jnoonan22 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    What do you mean by "dimensioned the appropriate sized variable"? I'm simply trying to pass values from the form to the query. Is there another method that can do this more simply?

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    You can use the form's name and the control's name in the query. This wil be better performing than reserving space in the computer's memory for a TempVar or another complex data type.

In VBA, you can declare a variable like this
    Dim strSomeValue as String

This reserves space in the computer's memory for the String data type. The String data type is a specific size. A smaller variable would be an integer.
    Dim intSomeNumber as Integer

An integer takes less space than a String. A tempvar is much larger than a string.

If you reference a bound control in a query, the query will consider the data type the control is bound to.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I never use dynamic parameterized queries. However, here is example of how to reference controls as dynamic parameter: http://datapigtechnologies.com/flash...mtoreport.html

I prefer VBA to construct filter criteria http://www.allenbrowne.com/ser-62.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.