ofdeclast is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Protect my database from dangerous code of another database

Anyone can enable a database bypass key from another database...

How can I protect dangerous code from other database..........
    Last edited by ofdeclast; 12-31-2015 at 08:29 AM.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    The first thing is to have security on the network. So Active Directory can help a lot with that. Of course network security is a large topic.

As for the Access file, itself, if you are worried about someone opening it and tampering with it, you should convert it to an accde. Also, you should use VBA code to hide objects like tables and queries.

Before you convert it to accde, use VBA to affect the Hidden property of these objects. Also, it is not a bad idea to do this to the sys tables. So, I would iterate the tables collection and adjust the Hidden = True.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Some would say that at their basic level, some systems are more secure than Access is at its most complex. Perhaps you should post what it is that you're concerned could be affected should someone override the shift bypass property. If, as suggested, your front end is already converted, there's not much that can be done to it code-wise. It could exposed linked table paths, but I always link tables with a password so they cannot be opened by anyone who doesn't know the password. When you get down to it, robust Access security is a compilation of efforts within Access as well as other means such as directory permissions that have been created properly.

I did as above instructions. But when i gave password to my backend.accdb file then my front end get very slow to execute.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    But when i gave password to my backend.accdb file then my front end get very slow to execute.
    Not sure if you're referring to what I posted, because I did not say to "give a password" to a file, which I interpret to mean you password protected a file. I said I set a password when I link to the tables in the back end database file.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    ...Perhaps you should post what it is that you're concerned could be affected should someone override the shift bypass property...
    I think that this is the really important question, here! How you provide security depends largely on what you're protecting and who the likely interloper could be.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Actually I said about encrypted password from option menu to the back end. When I set password my front end get very slow.

I am creating a MS Application for an organization. But I think couldn't have enough security for protecting it from them. Here is my first headache:
    Sub EnableShiftKey()
    Dim db As DAO.Database
    Dim prp As DAO.Property

Set db = OpenDatabase ("\\PATH\TO\TARGET\DATABASE.MDB")
    db.Properties.Delete "AllowBypassKey"
    Set prp = db.CreateProperty("AllowBypassKey", dbBoolean, True, True)
    db.Properties.Append prp

db.Properties.Refresh
    Set prp = Nothing
    Set db = Nothing

End Sub

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    as has been asked before - what are you trying to protect? and who from?

just some suggestions

code - convert to .accde/.mde - would solve your problem in post #8
    direct access to tables - password protect back end, use accdb rather than mdb since mdb encryption is very easy to break
    bypass key - disable bypass key, hide navigation windows and ribbon and disable keys to unhide
    indirect access to tables and queries and discovery of password - do not use linked tables (password can be seen in linking data) but link as and when required using code - and ensure your password is not hard coded by calculated in the code
    slow access to backend - maintain persistent connection, ensure path to backend is short, ensure efficient network, ensure system only brings through what it needs (think how web pages work). don't use forms/combos/listboxes which pull through entire tables and filter on form (the Excel mentality) - restate the rowsource to bring through what is requested, consider using sql server/mysql and stored procedures

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.