Jen0dorf is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit

NAvigation forms - locking them to fixed space

Hi

trust you all had a good holiday and have a great New Year:-) Not really sure how to describe my question so apologies for any confusion

Still on my cemetery database and whilst it's all working over the hols decided it could do with a bit of tuning on the visual front.

Have found out about temporary variables I changed some of my searches which work much better.

I also discovered the navigation forms....

So I created a navigation form - buttons on the left, styled it and dragged by forms onto the buttons and as expected I created a front end with the navigation working. Too good to be true huh?

So my first form gets the user to enter a year of death and when the search button is pressed then the value is written to a temp variable and used as criteria in a query to open a data sheet listing all records that fulfill that criteria. ie that year of death

That all works perfectly but - Ok it's an xmas but!!!!

In my navigation form when I press the button the related form opens and fills the space to the right of the menu bar

When open any form further down the line ie the datasheet from above it is not locked into that area of the screen but rather fills the screen obscuring the menu buttons

Not sure if what I want is possible ie all forms to show in that area of real estate and the buttons to remain visible what I have top do to my forms to fulfill that plan

any ideas?

thanks

Ian

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I don't like and don't use Navigation form.

Can't visualize the issue you describe. If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Hi

thanks for the response, your advice was great on form Wizards is this why you don't like the navigation forms?

it's not that I'm fixed on using them just really expanding my knowledge

cheers

Ian

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I don't like because they seem harder to work with for VBA code.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Hi

thanks I'll use a conventional menu then, although I'm not into VBA (yet) who knows.

Sounds like they are similar the menu systems for web sites I keep getting offered with fancy effects etc. Ok providing you want basic. I still use old fashioned html and css for web sites I like the flexibility. I never got into MSql which was probably a shame but who knows in the future

Have a great new year

Ian

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.