General Access Question

I've worked with access several times in the past few years. I have just built a access db for my son. He is a screen printer and embroider. He wants me to build another database to help him determine the cost of a job. The problem for me is this. the job depends on several varables, such as the number of stitches, the number of items being sewn. There is a price break on a certain number of items to be sew and the number of stitches to be sewn.

He currently uses a spread sheet to look at it but would like to use access database to put the numbers in and calculate the numbers. I want to know if it would be better to keep it in a spread sheet or make database?
    Thanks in advance

vicsaccess is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    spread sheets work but not very user friendly. as long as you can see the equations and methods of the spreadsheet a database should be an easy way to get a customer friendly front end look. as a bonus it can also do all the invoicing and reports. basically figure out what criteria goes into the cost of a job, set up a default table with cost associated with each of the criteria then an entry form for the different criteria that automatically calculates the total cost with a query. you'll have fun doing it.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    So this is an opinion question. Means no one is wrong or right, really.
    I believe the easier tool for performing a host of calculations might just be Excel because that's what it does best. I don't know what is meant by them being not user friendly. Should be like anything else, I guess - easy if you know how or what to do. There is a lot of power in presentation by using merged columns/rows, calculated cells, conditional formatting, lookups or whatever. Workbooks are also fairly powerful from a vba perspective, and are hands down the winner if you need charts. I do agree that Access is better for storing/retrieving data as records and creating professional looking reports, but I still think those reports are best suited for dealing with a multitude of records rather than a one-off situation like an invoice for a small business. I've used Access for many years, but have and would still lean towards Excel for invoicing. The best solution might be a marriage of both applications.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.