NSAMSA is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 64bit

This expression is typed incorrectly, or is too complex to be evaluated

Hi all:

I've looked through other posts regarding this error and have not found anything specifically helpful for my particular situation. I'm hoping I can gain some clarity here.

I have the following query design:

SELECT qryCourseRecDept.EmployeeNumber, qryCourseRecDept.EmployeeID, qryCourseRecDept.CourseName, qrySchedCourse.MonthCriteria, qryCourseRecDept.LastDate, qrySchedCourse.Department, qrySchedCourse.SchedMonth
    FROM qrySchedCourse INNER JOIN qryCourseRecDept ON (qrySchedCourse.Course = qryCourseRecDept.CourseName) AND (qrySchedCourse.Department = qryCourseRecDept.GeneralDept)
    WHERE (((qryCourseRecDept.LastDate)<[MonthCriteria]));

Its the last qualifier which is causing the issue. The LastDate is the date in which the course was completed as a short date. The MonthCriteria is actually a built date. I have a course schedule that assigns month (e.g. "January"), and a Year, (e.g. "2015") I created a column for my month list, (where the month is derived from) that specifies for January that the MonthParam = "1/1/" and I build the MonthCriteria as [MonthParam]&[SchedYear] as a short date. This is all in the qrySchedCourse. I then give a criteria in the table as >=[MonthCriteria] to find compliant courses. A course can occur more than once. So, someone could have completed the course 1/5/2015 and be compliant for the January schedule, but not be compliant for the December schedule which has a MonthCriteria of 12/1/2015. If I don't add the criteria, the table runs fine showing the last date for January and December as the same for the course and the accurate MonthCriteria date for each. I kind of get what's wrong, but have no clue as to how to make the query run the way I would like. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    I don't see what is wrong but the parser in Access can get confused with some SQL. You can often resolve this by breaking it down into more than one query.

InsuranceGuy is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NSAMSA View Post
    Hi all:

[MonthParam]&[SchedYear] as a short date.
    The error described has to do with datatype mismatches most frequently. If you are concatenating these two fields exactly as described, you're probably getting a string datatype instead of a date datatype. Occassionally Access will not translate string dates effectively and you need to force the matter using "CDate([MonthParam]&[SchedYear])".

Cheers,

Jeff

NSAMSA is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 64bit
    Fantastic! That was it Jeff. I'm so happy when the fixes are easy like that. Close it down boys.

Thank you!

Nick

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.