Justin Bailey is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit

newbie question, is duplicate entry fields correct for multi unique data entry?

hi,
    I'm a newbie at Access trying to learn more about SQL and stuff... I'm sure this is probably a trivial question, but can't seem to figure it out. or if my approach is just wrong.

I started database project to get the hang of things. I have proper Tables and relationships design established. But I am running into some difficulty with form design.

I want to have a form to enter values of actors in a movie. So, in each record, I want to enter data for multiple actors. So when I try to create more than one actor entry field, they all seem to auto populate the same data from just the first data entry. Is there a way to create duplicate independent fields in a form sourced from one field in a table?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    No.

Your options are

multi-value field but I don't like them and NEVER use https://support.office.com/en-us/art...C-6DE9BEBBEC31

or a dependent table for the actors.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    You really need to have a separate "role/actor" Table, as June7 suggested. Your 'movie' Table should include all info on the film, except for the cast members, and should include a MovieID.

The movie Table would be used as the Recordset for a Main Form, and the role/actor Table (which also needs a MovieID field) for the Recordset for a SubForm. The Main Form/Subform would be related thru the MovieID.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Justin Bailey is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit
    thanks for the reply June 7, and Missinglinq.
    yes, i do have a separate actors table and a movies table linked with a junction table. the tables do have proper fields to compile data correctly.. P keys, corresponding F keys etc... my database design is not the issue. its how I want to enter the data when I create a form. I am looking for a way to efficiently enter data of many actors at a time for each movie form record and for that data of actors to be compiled into the Actors table. my tables are empty, i'm starting from scratch. I'm looking for an efficient way to enter actors names data only once and be compiled where appropriate.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Options for data entry:

1. one form bound to the junction table and comboboxes to select movie and actor

2. main form bound to movies table and subform bound to junction table with combobox to select actor

3. main form bound to actors table and subform bound to junction table with combobox to select movie

If you want to add a new movie or actor 'on the fly' while entering junction records, use the combobox NotInList event. Fairly common topic, search forum.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.