bchankent is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

User Interface Design

Hi there,

This is my first post, so let me know if I'm not following the rules of the forum

We have a Human Resource template that we are trying to update the UI design to a more current 'look'. Compared to UI's online, we seem to be a little dated. We are trying to determine on whether to have all information be entered via pop-ups, or having the information in a Tab control on the bottom of the form. I have inserted a screen shot of the current setup where everything is entered from pop-up forms.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenShot2.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	23058

I wanted to get some feedback on what you guys think is the current standard for UI design. Pop-ups or tab control?

Thanks,

Blair

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    personally I go for a single form with a generic subform instead of tabs. The sourceobject of the subform is updated on the click of a button rather than a tab to show the relevant subform. Also, by using buttons you can take advantage of the button formatter to create circles, rounded rectangles etc

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bchankent View Post
    We are trying to determine on whether to have all information be entered via pop-ups, or having the information in a Tab control on the bottom of the form. I have inserted a screen shot of the current setup where everything is entered from pop-up forms.
    I wanted to get some feedback on what you guys think is the current standard for UI design. Pop-ups or tab control?
    If by popup you mean someone clicks on a field and a form pops up so data can be edited/entered, I've never understood that approach. Saw it in only one application about 15 years ago. When it comes to record entry/edit, I see nothing wrong with your picture, although I can't see if this form has record navigation buttons. Based on that, I would only use a tab control to avoid having more than one or two subforms on a main form that don't need to be seen simultaneously. The last time I used a tab control was to set a whack of user preferences about the database, and that was years ago.

Aesthetics are another issue. Perhaps all you need is to emulate some other design and don't settle for what an Access form wizard throws at you. You can do things like use image controls or lay rectangles behind transparent controls; give raised or sunken effects to data controls or those rectangles. Sorry if you weren't referring to aesthetics of form design.

bchankent is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Thanks for the feedback. I think it's a combination of aesthetics and functionality. Some of us in the company like the tab control to enter/view data, while others prefer to have a button with a popup form to enter/view data. Aesthetically, the column of buttons on the left hand side seems a bit dated, but we can look at customizing the buttons rather than just using the wizard as Ajax and Micron have suggested.

Does anyone have screenshots of current forms they have designed that they care to share? It would interesting to see what other styles developers have utilized.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit
    It really depends on what you/your company likes/decides.
    We tend to use pop up forms. We have a main form where the details section is in continuous view, displaying some company (client) info.. In the form footer, there are list boxes for displaying info related to that selected company. Clicking on a division in the division list box will populate another list box for employees. Double clicking on an employee opens a form displaying info about that employee. The list boxes on that employee details form displays a history of the data: the Bonus history, the wage history, the benefits, etc.
    If more info/details about that list box is needed, double clicking the list box will open a form with all of the info to added/edited.

-------------------------
    One thing I was curious about in you picture, is the ID field an autonumber?
    If so, you should read these 3 sites:
    Autonumbers--What they are NOT and What They Are
    http://www.utteraccess.com/wiki/index.php/Autonumbers

Microsoft Access Tables: Primary Key Tips and Techniques
    http://www.fmsinc.com/free/newtips/primarykey.asp

Use Autonumbers properly
    http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0025.htm

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Just thought I'd clarify my comment If by popup you mean someone clicks on a field and a form pops up so data can be edited/entered, I've never understood that approach.
    I was referring to what amounts to popping up an input box to enter data in a field rather than doing it in the control itself. As for the popup style of form, I think that looks quite professional, but to be user friendly it helps to identify controls that will respond to double-click actions. I don't know if versions higher than 2007 can colour a text or combo box; for me, that's still requires controls with transparent backgrounds and coloured rectangles in the layer below. You probably don't need to be concerned with windows themes, but if people are allowed to change them willy-nilly, some of your design changes might not look so good against them.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.