breakingme10 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Exclamation cmdPrint in two different databases, one crashes the database, the other works fine?

I have a storage database that tracks tenants and payments and rent. I have a report for Payment History and titled the same. However, when the button is pushed, it says "printing to 'theprintersname'" then the database crashes.
    The same code is used for a different database to print a report of the workdays incoming payments for all businesses. (my company has multiple entities within it).
    That report prints just fine!

The report is bound to a query with the following sql (the parameters are retrieved from an unbound form [which has the print button on it])

Code:
    SELECT Payment.LeaseID, Tenant.TenantName, [Year] & " - " & [Month] AS PaymentFor, Payment.DateDue, Payment.DatePaid, Payment.AmtDue, Payment.PaymentTypeID, Payment.PaymentCategoryID, Payment.ReferenceNumber, Payment.Amount, Payment.Notes, Payment.PaymentID, Payment.DateAdded, Payment.Balance, Month([DateDue]) AS MonthNum, Year([DateDue]) AS [Year], MonthName([MonthNum],True) AS [Month]
    FROM Tenant INNER JOIN (Lease INNER JOIN Payment ON Lease.LeaseID = Payment.LeaseID) ON Tenant.TenantID = Lease.TenantID
    WHERE (((Payment.LeaseID)=[Forms]![SelectLease]![cboLeaseUnit]) AND ((Payment.DateDue)>=[Forms]![SelectLease]![DateFrom] And (Payment.DateDue)<[Forms]![SelectLease]![DateTo]+1) AND ((Lease.LeaseID)=[Forms]![SelectLease]![cboLeaseUnit])) OR (((Payment.LeaseID)=[Forms]![SelectLease]![cboLeaseUnit]) AND ((Payment.DateDue)>=[Forms]![SelectLease]![DateFrom] And (Payment.DateDue)<[Forms]![SelectLease]![DateTo]+1) AND (([Forms]![SelectLease]![cboLeaseUnit]) Is Null)) OR (((Payment.LeaseID)=[Forms]![SelectLease]![cboLeaseUnit]) AND ((Payment.DateDue)<[Forms]![SelectLease]![DateTo]+1) AND ((Lease.LeaseID)=[Forms]![SelectLease]![cboLeaseUnit]) AND (([Forms]![SelectLease]![DateFrom]) Is Null)) OR (((Payment.LeaseID)=[Forms]![SelectLease]![cboLeaseUnit]) AND ((Payment.DateDue)<[Forms]![SelectLease]![DateTo]+1) AND (([Forms]![SelectLease]![cboLeaseUnit]) Is Null) AND (([Forms]![SelectLease]![DateFrom]) Is Null)) OR (((Payment.LeaseID)=[Forms]![SelectLease]![cboLeaseUnit]) AND ((Payment.DateDue)>=[Forms]![SelectLease]![DateFrom]) AND ((Lease.LeaseID)=[Forms]![SelectLease]![cboLeaseUnit]) AND (([Forms]![SelectLease]![DateTo]) Is Null)) OR (((Payment.LeaseID)=[Forms]![SelectLease]![cboLeaseUnit]) AND ((Payment.DateDue)>=[Forms]![SelectLease]![DateFrom]) AND (([Forms]![SelectLease]![cboLeaseUnit]) Is Null) AND (([Forms]![SelectLease]![DateTo]) Is Null)) OR (((Lease.LeaseID)=[Forms]![SelectLease]![cboLeaseUnit]) AND (([Forms]![SelectLease]![DateFrom]) Is Null) AND (([Forms]![SelectLease]![DateTo]) Is Null)) OR ((([Forms]![SelectLease]![cboLeaseUnit]) Is Null) AND (([Forms]![SelectLease]![DateFrom]) Is Null) AND (([Forms]![SelectLease]![DateTo]) Is Null))
    ORDER BY Payment.DateDue;
    as you can see there is a TON of criteria.
    this may put it into perspective a bit better

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PaymentsHistoryQry.PNG 
Views:	9 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	23014

The form is a simple unbound form with text boxes for dateto and datefrom and combo boxes for select tenant and select lease
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SelectLeaseFormDesign.PNG 
Views:	9 
Size:	11.5 KB 
ID:	23015

The code behind the report on open event is
    Code:
    Private Sub Report_Open(Cancel As Integer)

Const FORMNOTOPEN = 2450

Dim frm As Form

On Error Resume Next

Set frm = Forms!SelectLease

If Err = FORMNOTOPEN Then
        DoCmd.OpenForm "SelectLease"
        Cancel = True
    Else
        If Err <> 0 Then
            ' unknown error
            MsgBox Err.Description, vbExclamation, "Error"
        End If
    End If

End Sub
    and the code behind the print button is

Code:
    Private Sub cmdPrint_Click()

Const REPORTCANCELLED = 2501

On Error Resume Next

DoCmd.OpenReport "Payment History", acViewNormal

Select Case Err.Number
        Case 0
        DoCmd.Close acForm, "SelectLease"
        Case REPORTCANCELLED
        MsgBox Err.Description, vbInformation, "Error: Report Cancelled!"
        Case Else
        MsgBox "Error Number: " & Err.Number & vbCrLf & "Error Description: " & Err.Description, vbInformation, "Error:Unknown"
    End Select

End Sub
    I have no idea why it would be crashing the database. I can open the query and type in the parameters via the popup boxes and view it with no problem. I can also view the report by entering in the filter manually in design view and opening the selectlease form in design view then opening the history report normally. It shows the correct data.
    I use the same print button in another database with no problems! I've tried in both access 2013 and 2016. The problem exists with both!
    I'm stumped!

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Usually, its not the code that crashes the db, its the PC. I had the same problem with 1 PC. It kept crashing, The Access fix problems function did no effect.

It was easier to swap out the PC and never had a problem.
    Tho I did not try a full Access removal and reinstall. Its just something in that PC.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    I've reinstalled and everything no difference. But if it was the pc wouldn't it crash the other database as well?

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    no. I had the same program on 2 'same' PCs. 1 worked, 1 crashed.
    Either something got corrupted, or was missing.
    Fresh PC worked.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    In the report, did you define a printer? Maybe the report uses a specific printer, port, name, etc.

It can be more simple to use the system default printer by avoiding custom settings in the report.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ranman256 View Post
    no. I had the same program on 2 'same' PCs. 1 worked, 1 crashed.
    Either something got corrupted, or was missing.
    Fresh PC worked.
    Ok your misunderstanding me. The same code is used in two different databases to print a report. Both databases are on the SAME computer. One works. The other crashes it. What your suggesting isn't possible for me. I cannot reinstall my OS.

In the report, did you define a printer? Maybe the report uses a specific printer, port, name, etc.

It can be more simple to use the system default printer by avoiding custom settings in the report.
    I think previously I had told it to print to a different printer. But even though I changed it back. It made no difference, I feel like just beating my head against the wall at this point.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.