bradical987 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2013

Query to SUM values of most recent 4 weeks only

As I am trying to re-learn Access after many years of not using it, I've decided to put together a database of football statistics (I'm a fantasy football addict). So far, I have been able to figure out most of the simple queries I've wanted to run, but the one I am struggling with is summing the statistics for the most recent 4 weeks (the period of time of a real-world scouting report). Here are the tables I am working with:

tbl_Offensive_Stats

+ID, Week, PlayerKey, Opp, Bye, OFPTS

tbl_Player_Info
    +FirstName, LastName, PlayerPos, PlayerTeam, PlayerKey

tbl_Schedule
    +ID, Team, Opp, Week, Day, Date, Time

I have also setup joins between the following tables/columns:
    tbl_Offensive_Stats.PlayerKey <=> tbl_Player_Info.PlayerKey
    tbl_Player_Info.PlayerTeam <=> tbl_Schedule.Team

The PlayerKey contains player information in the format: Drew Brees QB | NO
    -This is how the data is exported into a csv file I am able to download from the web.

The query I am trying to run will have the following fields that will not be manipulated:
    tbl_Player_Info.LastName, tbl_Player_Info.FirstName, tbl_Player_Info.PlayerPos, tbl_Player_Info.PlayerTeam

I want to be able to sum many fields (not listed) from tbl_Offensive_Stats, but to keep this post simple, I will just be using the OFPTS field. As for this field, I want to sum the OFPTS value for each player (the number of fantasy points scored each week) from only the most recent 4 weeks. I would like to have this query automatically calculate what the most recent 4 weeks are, but if I need to somehow manually enter week numbers or date ranges using BETWEEN (or something I'm not aware of), that would suffice to get this working. The tbl_Offensive_Stats table contains all the player data from each week, as I just import the weekly data into the one table. The Week field contains the week number (i.e. 1, 2, 3, etc) and not in date format.

What I have tried is variation of the following code:
    Code:
    SELECT tbl_Player_Info.LastName, tbl_Player_Info.FirstName, tbl_Player_Info.PlayerPos AS Pos, tbl_Player_Info.PlayerTeam AS Team, Sum(tbl_Offensive_Stats.OFPTS) AS FPTSFROM (tbl_Player_Info INNER JOIN tbl_Offensive_Stats ON tbl_Player_Info.PlayerKey = tbl_Offensive_Stats.PlayerKey) INNER JOIN tbl_Schedule ON tbl_Player_Info.PlayerTeam = tbl_Schedule.Team
    GROUP BY tbl_Player_Info.LastName, tbl_Player_Info.FirstName, tbl_Player_Info.PlayerPos, tbl_Player_Info.PlayerTeam
    HAVING (((Sum(tbl_Offensive_Stats.OFPTS)) Between [Enter Start Date] And [Enter End Date]));
    And:
    Code:
    SELECT tbl_Player_Info.LastName, tbl_Player_Info.FirstName, tbl_Player_Info.PlayerPos AS Pos, tbl_Player_Info.PlayerTeam AS Team, Sum(tbl_Offensive_Stats.OFPTS) AS FPTS
    FROM (tbl_Player_Info INNER JOIN tbl_Offensive_Stats ON tbl_Player_Info.PlayerKey = tbl_Offensive_Stats.PlayerKey) INNER JOIN tbl_Schedule ON tbl_Player_Info.PlayerTeam = tbl_Schedule.Team
    GROUP BY tbl_Player_Info.LastName, tbl_Player_Info.FirstName, tbl_Player_Info.PlayerPos, tbl_Player_Info.PlayerTeam, tbl_Schedule.Date
    HAVING (((Sum(tbl_Offensive_Stats.OFPTS)) Between [Enter Start Date] And [Enter End Date]));
    All I get with these is a blank datasheet when I run the query. After countless hours of searching and trying to find posts or blogs with similar questions that have been answered, I haven't been able to come up with anything that closely enough resembles what I am trying to do. If I need to provide any further information about what I am working with, please let me know. Any help, as always, is greatly appreciated!

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Your filter criteria makes no sense. Why would the Sum of OFPTS be compared to date values?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2013
    It isn't that I'm comparing them to date values, it is that I only want the sum of the OFPTS value for the most recent 4 weeks per player, instead of all weeks per player (as I have in a separate query for YTD stats). I have the date involved, right now, because a different solution I found that was kind of sort of like what I am trying to do used a date range (which didn't work for me the way they did it).

June7 is online now VIP
    But you ARE comparing the sum to date values in the HAVING clause. This makes no sense. Should be a date field where the Sum() expression is and this would be a WHERE clause.

BTW, Date is a reserved word. Should not use reserved words as names for anything.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2013
    Ok so I have changed Date to be GameDate as to avoid using a reserved word.

As I mentioned in my initial post, I am trying to learn access (and extremely new to SQL), so I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but this is what I have come up with:
    Code:
    SELECT tbl_Player_Info.LastName, tbl_Player_Info.FirstName, tbl_Player_Info.PlayerPos AS Pos, tbl_Player_Info.PlayerTeam AS Team
    FROM (tbl_Player_Info INNER JOIN tbl_Offensive_Stats ON tbl_Player_Info.PlayerKey = tbl_Offensive_Stats.PlayerKey) INNER JOIN tbl_Schedule ON tbl_Player_Info.PlayerTeam = tbl_Schedule.Team
    WHERE (((tbl_Schedule.GameDate)=Sum([tbl_Offensive_Stats].[OFPTS])))
    GROUP BY tbl_Player_Info.LastName, tbl_Player_Info.FirstName, tbl_Player_Info.PlayerPos, tbl_Player_Info.PlayerTeam;
    As I'm sure you are able to tell, it doesn't work because of the error message "Cannot have aggregate function in WHERE clause..."

Also, if there is a better way of setting this query up, in your eyes, how would you do it? The way it is setup now is not concrete, it was just the best I could come up with based on my limited knowledge.

June7 is online now VIP
    WHERE [GameDate] BETWEEN [Enter Start Date] AND [Enter End Date]

Are you using the Access query designer to aid in constructing SQL?

Windows 10 Access 2013
    Yes, I am using the query designer.

Code:
    SELECT tbl_Player_Info.LastName, tbl_Player_Info.FirstName, tbl_Player_Info.PlayerPos AS Pos, tbl_Player_Info.PlayerTeam AS Team, Sum(tbl_Offensive_Stats.OFPTS) AS SumOfOFPTS
    WHERE (([GameDate] Between [Enter Start Date] And [Enter End Date]))
    GROUP BY tbl_Player_Info.LastName, tbl_Player_Info.FirstName, tbl_Player_Info.PlayerPos, tbl_Player_Info.PlayerTeam;
    I am getting the error message This expression is typed incorrectly, or it is too complex to be evaluated. ...

I tried the WHERE clause as it is above (created using the query designer) and I tried it exactly as you typed it into the SQL view (without the double parenthesis around it).

June7 is online now VIP
    Build a simpler query first, just tbl_Offensive_Stats - no calcs and no grouping and no other tables for starters - and see if the filtering works.

If you want to provide db for analysis and testing, follow instructions at bottom of my post.

Windows 10 Access 2013
    Thanks for all your help. I was finally able to get it working using the following code:
    Code:
    SELECT tbl_Player_Info.LastName, tbl_Player_Info.FirstName, tbl_Player_Info.PlayerPos AS Pos, tbl_Player_Info.PlayerTeam AS Team, Sum(tbl_Offensive_Stats.PaAtt) AS PaAtt, Sum(tbl_Offensive_Stats.PaCmp) AS PaCmp, Sum(tbl_Offensive_Stats.PaYd) AS PaYd, Sum(tbl_Offensive_Stats.PaTD) AS PaTD, Sum(tbl_Offensive_Stats.PaInt) AS PaInt, Sum(tbl_Offensive_Stats.RuAtt) AS RuAtt, Sum(tbl_Offensive_Stats.RuYd) AS RuYd, Avg(tbl_Offensive_Stats.RuAvg) AS RuAvg, Sum(tbl_Offensive_Stats.RuTD) AS RuTD, Sum(tbl_Offensive_Stats.ReTar) AS ReTar, Sum(tbl_Offensive_Stats.Recpt) AS Recpt, Sum(tbl_Offensive_Stats.ReYd) AS ReYd, Avg(tbl_Offensive_Stats.ReAvg) AS ReAvg, Sum(tbl_Offensive_Stats.ReTD) AS ReTD, Sum(tbl_Offensive_Stats.FL) AS FL, Sum(tbl_Offensive_Stats.OFPTS) AS FPTS
    FROM tbl_Player_Info INNER JOIN tbl_Offensive_Stats ON tbl_Player_Info.PlayerKey = tbl_Offensive_Stats.PlayerKey
    WHERE (((tbl_Offensive_Stats.Week) Between [Start Week] And [End Week]))
    GROUP BY tbl_Player_Info.LastName, tbl_Player_Info.FirstName, tbl_Player_Info.PlayerPos, tbl_Player_Info.PlayerTeam
    ORDER BY Sum(tbl_Offensive_Stats.OFPTS) DESC;

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.