shoelesscraig is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Open Form To Specific Record From A Report?

I have a report that has several columns, one of them being the column "ID". I would like (if it's possible) to add a column to this report with a button in it...so I understand EVERY row would have this button...where when I clicked the button, it would open up a report (call it ReportA) and go to the record in that form where the ID's match each other. So if I am looking at my report and I go to the row that has ID = 3, it would open ReportA and go to the record where ID = 3 in that form. (The ID's in that form are also displayed and visible when you view the form).

Is this doable?

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    You don't need a button on every row, a single button in the form header will do the same thing without all the clutter.
    the click event will open the record the cursor is on...
    Code:
    Sub btnOpen_click
       Docmd.openform "frmEdit",,,"[id]=" & txtID
    end sub
    the txtID is the name of the textbox on the screen

Quote Originally Posted by ranman256 View Post
    You don't need a button on every row, a single button in the form header will do the same thing without all the clutter.
    the click event will open the record the cursor is on...
    Code:
    Sub btnOpen_click
       Docmd.openform "frmEdit",,,"[id]=" & txtID
    end sub
    the txtID is the name of the textbox on the screen
    That is excellent and works great. I made this work for a button on each row (I think it may be a little cleaner for my particular situation).

If you don't mind, I'd like help with the next related issue. Once my form opens (and opens to the correct record) I can see what I want to. However, now the navigation buttons for my form (next, previous, first, last) no longer work. I have to close the form and reopen to make them work again. Not really a huge issue, but I was wondering if maybe there was a way to perhaps clear the restriction on the viewing when I clicked one of the navigation buttons? Maybe like an "OnClick" event or something? That way I wouldn't have to close the form and open again. Hopefully that makes sense...?

Update on this...I managed to figure out how to clear the filter by adding a button with the following code:

If FilterOn = True Then
    DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdRemoveAllFilters
    Else: End If

Works good. Now, if I'm being really picky....if I am on record #150 (because I got there by pressing the button in the report (from the above posts) and I press the "Clear Filter" button, it does clear the filter so I can browse records again, but takes me back to record #1. Obviously this is a long way from where I was. Any way to make it clear the filters but stay on the record its currently on and let me start browsing from there?

MatthewGrace is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit
    I think the sort of solution your looking for involves the FindFirst method. I'm not that good at Access that I can clearly articulate exactly where to put this but I think you could say something like:

Code:
    btnOpen_click
         Docmd.openform "frmEdit" 'Skip the filter argument and do a search instead with the next line?
         Forms!frmEdit.Recordset.FindFirst "[id]=" & txtID 'I'm not sure if this exactly the code, but could hopefully be a starting place.
    end sub
    No filter necessary.

To comment on the aforementioned button issue, perhaps you could forego a button altogether and place the above code in an event handler for the ID column of your report (textbox, right?) ... something like the "Sub txtID_DoubleClick" of the textbox. If it works, and you want to make it obvious to the users eye that clicking the ID# directly will navigate to the record on frmEdit, you could try adjusting the textbox forecolor to blue and putting an Underline so it resembles a common hyperlink. Everyone knows that look indicates clicking on it will take you somewhere.
    Hope it helps!!! good luck
    matt

breakingme10 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    I would suggest the same as Matthew Grace.

In the reports design view,
    select your id column
    set the property for IsHyperlink to "Screen Only" (this will make the id look like a hyperlink and then be more obvious that it is indeed clickable)
    you can even set the control source to this to make it show "Open" instead of the ID number. Unless you want the id number to show that is.
    Code:
    =IIf(IsNull([ID]),"(New)","Open")
    then on the ID columns "OnClick" event you can either use a macro or VBA to open the form to the correct record.
    I choose vba.

This is actual code from a report in one of my databases. my "ID" column is named "txtOpen" this is it's onclick event.
    Code:
    Private Sub txtOpen_Click()
    On Error GoTo txtOpen_Click_Err
    Dim CurrentID As Integer

On Error Resume Next
        If (MacroError.Number <> 0) Then
            Beep
            MsgBox MacroError.Description, vbQuestion, "Error"
            Exit Sub
        End If
        On Error GoTo 0
        DoCmd.OpenForm "EmployeeDetails", acNormal, "", "[ID]=" & Nz(ID, 0), , acWindowNormal
        If (Not IsNull(ID)) Then
            CurrentID = ID
        End If
        If (IsNull(ID)) Then
            CurrentID = Nz(DMax("[ID]", Report.RecordSource), 0)
        End If
        DoCmd.Requery ""
        DoCmd.SearchForRecord , , acFirst, "[ID]=" & CurrentID

txtOpen_Click_Exit:
        Exit Sub

txtOpen_Click_Err:
        MsgBox Error$
        Resume txtOpen_Click_Exit

End Sub

Simplified i believe that you can just use this to find the record you are wanting, however i have not tested it without the error trapping and conditionals.
    DoCmd.OpenForm "EmployeeDetails", acNormal, "", "[ID]=" & Nz(ID, 0), , acDialog
    DoCmd.SearchForRecord , "", acFirst, "[ID]=" & Nz(ID, 0)
    Last edited by breakingme10; 12-11-2015 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Put in wrong code

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Or take a look at Form.Bookmark property as another way.
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib.../ff835682.aspx

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.