Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    dhmlofi is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007

Duplicating Records - Issues with pasting into unbound combo box

I'm working with a form right now (Access 2010) where I have created a button to duplicate a record. I did this using the button wizard. There is a subform in the form.

The record seems to duplicate ok, but I have two unbound combo boxes in the form header which are used to search for/go to records. What seems to happen after the Paste record function, is that the unbound combos are causing issues. Their GotFocus functions are called, even though there is nothing in the macro to give them the focus.

I get random characters pasted into either one of these unbound fields. They look like Japanese or some other script. I've never seen an issue like this.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	22825
    If I end the Debug to bypass the issue, usually having to delete the characters in the unbound field, the paste record command completes ok. But clearly something is wrong and I have no idea how to resolve it. I'd appreciate some advice please. Thanks in advance.

I tried converting the macro to VB but still the same issue. The code it converted it to is below.
    Private Sub cmdDupRec_Click()On Error GoTo cmdDupRec_Click_Err

On Error Resume Next
    DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSelectRecord
    If (MacroError = 0) Then
    DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdCopy
    End If
    If (MacroError = 0) Then
    DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdRecordsGoToNew
    End If
    If (MacroError = 0) Then
    End If
    If (MacroError = 0) Then
    DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdPaste
    End If
    If (MacroError <> 0) Then
    Beep
    MsgBox MacroError.Description, vbOKOnly, ""
    End If

cmdDupRec_Click_Exit:
    Exit Sub

cmdDupRec_Click_Err:
    MsgBox Error$
    Resume cmdDupRec_Click_Exit

End Sub

Gina Maylone is offline Always learning
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Good morning!

I cannot duplicate your problem. Please post your db so I can have a closer look. Thank you!

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    would these fields returned byt he combo rowsouce be memo fields by any chance? If so, try changing them to text fields

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gina Maylone View Post
    Good morning!

I cannot duplicate your problem. Please post your db so I can have a closer look. Thank you!
    Thanks. I've stripped out all unnecessary contents but cannot get the front and back ends below the upload limit of 500kb (I'm between 500 and 800 each). Is there another way to post the files that I'm missing? Thanks

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    would these fields returned byt he combo rowsouce be memo fields by any chance? If so, try changing them to text fields
    No, they're autonumber and text fields.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Is there another way to post the files that I'm missing? Thanks
    try zipping the file

Windows XP Access 2007
    Now why didn't I think of zippingQUOTES_be - test.zip them!! Boy did those compress well. Thanks

Front and back end files are attached. Hope this helps get to the bottom of the problem.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    I've had a quick look, but it is all macros which I don't use so don't think I can help. However I suspect it is something to do with you refreshing and referencing screen.activecontrol (which after clicking the duplicate button, is that button, and not perhaps what you think it is).

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    I've had a quick look, but it is all macros which I don't use so don't think I can help. However I suspect it is something to do with you refreshing and referencing screen.activecontrol (which after clicking the duplicate button, is that button, and not perhaps what you think it is).
    Thanks. I removed the Refresh command but am still having these random alternative characters pasted into one of the search combos. (It's as if it's trying to paste the record there?). If you're meaning the screen.activecontrol on these search combos on the form header, that's the default macro for searching a record based on the combo box contents and so I wouldn't know what to put as an alternative. If I converted it to VB, would that help do you think?

Incidentally, I get the same issue if I manually copy and paste a record into a new record, i.e. without a macro.

Good morning!

Re-do your comboboxes. Delete the old ones and create new ones. when I did that, I didn't get the Chinese characters in the combo boxes.

HTH.
    Gina

Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by Gina Maylone View Post
    Good morning!

Re-do your comboboxes. Delete the old ones and create new ones. when I did that, I didn't get the Chinese characters in the combo boxes.

HTH.
    Gina
    Hmmmm, interesting. The combo boxes in the file I uploaded were ones I had recreated as I thought to try that....but still had the same problem. Do yours have the same macro or VB to search for the record? Thanks

Yes, the lookup function is there.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    I converted your embedded macro to code and set the event to the new function and stepped through it. At one point, I pasted the record into notepad then into Excel but everything seemed to line up and looked reasonable. I noticed you have an embedded macro on the lower of the two top combos that runs an after update event. This won't fire if the control is modified in code, but it will if the form is saved. So I removed the embedded macro and it seems to work, but I suppose you need that event to affect the subform. What looks odd about the embedded macro is that you're converting the value of the active control to a string, but the active control is the command button. I was wondering if that's the reason for the odd text.

Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Thanks for your efforts Gina and Micron but I'm still getting nowhere I'm afraid. I've tried replacing the combos with new ones as you suggested Gina but still got the same result.

I have also tried doing a conversion of the macros to code, using the default 'convert to code' function. That gives me the code...

DoCmd.SearchForRecord , "", acFirst, "[QuoteIntID] = " & Str(Nz(Screen.ActiveControl, 0))

Is this the code you refer to Micron? I sort of understand what you're meaning, but not entirely. Not enough to know what to do next though.

Essentially, I want the combos in the form header to find a record. I've used combos to do this on a few forms in more than one database in the past and it's never given me grief. I've never had to do a duplicate record function before though. I want to be able to duplicate a complete record, form and subform.

When I use the duplicate command (or a manual copy and paste record) the focus always seems to go to one of those combo boxes and pastes in these characters. This happens whether the combos and/or duplicate button is a macro or code.

Currently my duplicate code is:

On Error Resume Next
    If (MacroError = 0) Then
    DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdCopy
    End If
    If (MacroError = 0) Then
    DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdRecordsGoToNew
    End If
    If (MacroError = 0) Then
    End If
    If (MacroError = 0) Then
    End If
    DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSaveRecord
    Beep
    MsgBox MacroError.Description, vbOKOnly, ""
    End If

If alternative code would be better, I'm not sure what to try.

Thanks again

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Is this the code you refer to Micron?
    Code:
    DoCmd.SearchForRecord , "", acFirst, "[QuoteIntID] = " & Str(Nz(Screen.ActiveControl, 0))
    I believe it is, but I removed it, so to be absolutely sure, I'd have to reload your db because I didn't back up the form. To elaborate my point, I think this is what is happening:
    When you click on the button to copy the record, that button is the active control. This part of the code DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSaveRecord causes the form to be saved, which causes the controls to update, which causes your embedded macro to run. This macro is trying to set the combo box to whatever the button equals - because the button is what has the focus. I do wonder about this theory because I would expect an error, but perhaps there is a property or value that is the default and you are pulling it in without generating an error - thus the garbled text (which looks like part of the ASCII character set to me). As mentioned, I removed the embedded macro and the problem went away. Since the screen.activecontrol is a reference to the control that has the focus, try moving the focus to the control whose value you want to grab before you save the record.
    Code:
     End If
    NameOfYourControl.SetFocus
    DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdSaveRecord
       Beep
    There is another method you can consider. When duplicating parts of a record, sometimes it's just easier to copy what you need to a temp table and change the form's recordsource to the temp table and work on it there. Then you copy the record to the main table(s) and flush the temp. If this is a split db where each user has their own copy, temp tables should be in the FE (front end) only and all should be OK. If it's a split db but a shared FE you will remove records that others are working on if you flush this table. The only way around that AFAIK is to tie the records to the user login id. If your db is not split, you should do this regardless if it's shared or not.

I apologize for not responding quickly, but I've got some woodworking projects that I have to move along, so I'm trying to restrict my forum time to the evenings for now. Hope something I said helps you solve the issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.