Jen0dorf is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

uae external files

Hi

In my database of a cemetery each grave has a plot no I have an excel work book with a plot map on each worksheet.

What I'd like to do is make the plot field a link to the excel workbook --page.

I see an issue in that as the excel workbook is outside the database and the database will be distributed to various members in a run time version how do I set the path? or can I include the work book as an included part of the database rather than externaly

I could of course use hyperlink to access the workbook on a website but I feel that's a bit clumsy.

My second thought was that when the user installs the runtime version create a button to install the worksheet in the same directory?

Again not sure.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Many thanks

Ian

Is the excel document on the same network as the runtime versions Ian?

Quote Originally Posted by Homegrownandy View Post
    Is the excel document on the same network as the runtime versions Ian?

Hi

Basicaly what I'm planning to do is to create the exe file using the file save as option.

Burn that to a DVD and then build a front end onto the DVD to run the exe file as resesarch has told me it needs to be installed on a PC .

The excel workbook is also on the dvd but whilst I can link to it on my PC that is of course easy as my path is known e:\maps\plots.xlsx

problem is that on another pc the path will be wrong.

I've tried the code I use on web sites to input a path ie ..\ but that does not seem valid in access

cheers

Ian

all databases need to link to the same backend for consistency. the only reason to split the database is to have multiple users using the same data. But if you issue all the data separately there is no need to split.

If you're just issuing it as a read only file it may not be a problem. but if you want uses to edit or add data you may need to have a more complex approach to gather that data which will be external to your system.

Hi

the database will in reality be a read only file for users .

the excel worksheet is quite small so perhaps a good way is to integrate the excel worksheet into the database rather than access it as an external file
    ? That way I wouldn't have any path issues?

If it were on a web site then the path would be fixed for everyone but on a PC I'm not sure how to set a variable path.

Food for thought

Ian

Okay, In which cast I wouldn't like to guess. But I'm sure there will be some code that can look in the same directory as the database is in. Sadly I wouldn't be able to help.

Hi

thanks anyway

I'll have to research some more

cheers

Ian

HiTechCoach is offline MS MVP - Access Expert
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    EVER deployed data should (I believe, MUST) be split.

I deploy many runtime based solutions to clients/customers. I find it best to never assume the target PC will have any software other than what I install.

About the maps:

I would not assume that Excel in available.

I would convert all the maps to image files. You can store the images in the Access back end. The images can be easily viewed on a form. You can even print the maps on on reports.

About installing the Access Runtime:

You must also check to be sure that the same version of Acxess (full or Runtime) is not already installed on the target PC. If there is yu DO NOT what to install your runtime.

If you are using Access 2010 or later you also need to to be sure your Front End will work in both the 32-bit and 64-bit version of Access. Why you ask? If the target PC already has Office 64-bit installed that does not include Access then you must install the Access Runtime 64-bit version.

From: Choose the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Office (Click Here)

This is important before you install

If you have a version of 32-bit or 64-bit Office in your computer and you want to install Office 365, Office 2016, Office 2013, or an Office stand-alone application like Visio, you have to install the corresponding 32-bit or 64-bit version of the other program. For example, if your computer has a 32-bit version of Office 2010 and you want to install Office 2013, you have to install the 32-bit version. You can't mix 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Office. For details, see “Office (64-bit) couldn’t be installed” error when you install Office 2013 or Office 365.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.