Ryanm0085 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013

Help making attendance record database for Vol. Fire Company

i am trying to make a very simple database to keep track of our members when they respond to calls. I am a little Access savvy but i need a little push in the right direct. i want to have a check box next to each members name that can be checked if they are present or not. I will add some more info to the form such as date call type and stuff like that, but right now i am trying to get the calculation part down first. This part is easy and i have already done it. i just made a table of members and then added their tags to the form with an input as a yes/no. Now, however, i would like to get the database to calculate what percentage of the calls they have made. So basically, if someone made 5 out of 10 calls, they could go to a report or another view and see they have 50%. i have tried messing with the queries and stuff but cant quite figure it out. the only way i could even get it to give me a total was to use a query to give me a running list of yes's and no's for each member, then another query to add them up, which gives me a negative number. after that i am lost. not even sure if i am going about this the right way. any info or help would be great.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    You need a table of members. Then you need another table that documents calls. And since I presume there can be multiple members responding to a single call, need a third (junction) table.

tblMembers
    MemberID
    LastName
    FirstName

tblCalls
    CallID
    CallDate
    CallLocation
    CallType

tblCallsMembers
    MemberID
    CallID
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

If i did that, how would i get it to calculate the percentage of calls they made?

June7 is online now VIP
    Probably best would be to build a report using Grouping & Sorting features and aggregate calcs on report.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Alright. I'm lost with that. Maybe i don't know as much as i need too. I can create tables and forms based off the tables. I've made a couple queries and reports but thats about it.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    If you really feel lost, I suggest you work through this tutorial from RogersAccessLibrary. It lays out an approach- starting with a clear description of the "business" you are trying to support; it shows you how to identify the things of interest and their "attributes"; and it shows you how to design your tables.
    Getting your tables designed to meet your needs is critical to database.

You may also find more info on Normalization here.

Good luck.

June7 is online now VIP
    Also, a tutorial on building reports with Sorting & Grouping and aggregate calcs would be good idea. http://ms-access-tips.blogspot.com/2...ss-report.html

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.