Androo is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Relationship issues

Hello, I work as an avalanche forecaster and I am trying to link avalanche results data from specific days to weather data from that same day. On most days there are a lot of avalanches that correlate to one day of weather data. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SWA CAPTURE.PNG 
Views:	12 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	22398This is what I have set up so far and I like how it looks however when I try and enter more data for the same day I get told I can't have duplicate data as seen here Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RL CAPTURE.PNG 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	22399. This is the relationship I have set up Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RELATIONSHIP CAPTURE.PNG 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	22400. I am very novice when it comes to access but I'd like to learn how to have more data in the subfield on the first picture. Any tips will help, let me know if you need more information and what information that may be. Cheers!

Mpike926 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 64bit
    Androo, Are you are using dates as your Primary Key on table Mt Rose Snow We....? if so you should edit the table structure to include an AutoNumber that is set as the PK. You should then populate the subtables with this key (foreign key) and relate on this. A key is a unique value on a table which only allows it to appear once.

Androo is offline Novice
    I made an AutoNumber, tinkered around, then deleted some relationships, and somehow (I don't actually know how) it is doing exactly what I want! Thanks! Also, I was entering some data just to test somethings and then I deleted that data because it wasn't real, but now the AutoNumber automatically puts the first record at like 7. Is there a way to reset the autonumbering back to 1?

Mpike926 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 64bit
    Glad you were able to figure it out. To answer your question there is not. However it does not really matter. Once a number is used in a database you can no longer duplicate it as a PK regardless of if it was deleted or not. The numbers are irrelevant to the end user, just needed for linking tables together. If you have say #6 deleted from your primary table but #6 still exists on another table, you would need to join on the other table to show all records otherwise it would not display at all.

JamesDeckert is offline Competent Performer
    There is a way to reset back to 1. It can be found on the internet, but probably involves creating a new db then importing all objects from your old db. Usually unnecessary as Mpike said.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.