dcdimon is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Query Criteria IIF statement - using Not Equal when True/False

I have been searching for an hour without success for an answer to my question.

I have an iif statement as a criteria in a query. When the test is true then I want to show all records where the field is NOT equal to "none", otherwise show me everything. I'm using the following as my iif:

Code:
    Like IIf([forms]![DefectNotificationReviewF]![DefectFilterOpt]=2,<>"None",[NotificationNumber])
    [NotificationNumber] is the field name. When I pull out the <> it shows me all the records with NONE in the field. However, for my purpose I need to see the records without NONE. Those records contain unique number strings so I can't search for a single item. I need to ignore the NONE entries to show the set of records.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,
    Dave D.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    LIKE operator is only useful with wildcard and with text type fields, not numbers.

The operator (LIKE, <>, =, etc) cannot be dynamic. Mixing LIKE with another operator won't work.

I never use dynamic parameterized queries. I prefer VBA to construct filter criteria. Review: http://www.allenbrowne.com/ser-62.html

If you must use parameterized query, then calculate a field in query:

MyCriteria: IIf([forms]![DefectNotificationReviewF]![DefectFilterOpt]=2 AND [NotificationNumber]="None",False,True)

Filter criteria under that field: True
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

dcdimon is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    I ended up making a calculated field in the query - as June7 suggested - about 10 minutes after I posted this question. I think I needed to take a break from staring at the query builder because as soon as I went back in I thought of it.

I had toyed with the idea of using a SQL VBA script, but I wanted something that i could easily modify and use some form data to filter with. The VBA was a bit too cumbersome for that.

DD

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.