chazz1me is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Is it possible to retrieve the structure of lost linked tables from the front-end Access db?

I built a nice Access front-end application several years ago for a business client, but all the data was contained in a back-end Access db that I accessed using linked tables. I only saved the front-end application and forgot to grab the back-end file when my contract ended. The data itself is not so important to me, but I want to recreate the table schema so that I can continue to use the functionality I built in the front-end. Is there any way to see details about the linked table?

Really, all I want to know is all the columns in the linked table and their order. I don't want to have to reverse engineer the tables from all my queries, forms, and VBA in the front-end application.

Thanks!

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    there is no schema for a linked table if the table it is linking to is not available - afraid you'll have to reverse engineer.

depends how much time it would actually save but you could write some vba code to detail the sql in each query, form/report recordsource, list and combobox rowsource plus the form/report control sourceobject

something along the lines of
    dim qry as querydef
    for each qry in currentdb.querydefs
    debug.print qry.sql
    next

etc

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.