JAH is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

When trying to add a picture I get an error message stating Cannot open database

I have a split database on my home computer that is accessed only by me. I'm using Access 2007 under Windows 10. The database was split because it had become too large (over 2GB). The forms and reports have been recompiled and the data compacted and repaired. Initially, following the split, everything appeared to be working as it should. At the current time, however, there are two problems that have appeared that I suspect are related but do not understand.

The database is semi-automatically updated when I import (on a daily basis) an Excel spreadsheet. Everything appears to be importing successfully. I then manually copy an image from the web and add it to the appropriate record. This process has worked for years, and did so even after the database was split. However, now, when I try to move off of the record after pasting the image I get the following error message: "Cannot open database. It may not be a database that your application recognizes or the file may be corrupt" If I delete the image from the record I can successfully move to the next record. I can change and/or add text to the other fields in the record with no trouble.

The other problem which I suspect is related occurs when I run one query in preparation for generating a report and I get the following error message: "The Microsoft Access database engine has stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same record at the same time." As I said earlier, I'm the only person who has access. I have accessed the database remotely using Logmein on occasion.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    If you look in the folder(s) where your BE and FE files reside, are there any Access files with "Backup" in their name? You might want to look for tables named, "paste errors". I would Import your tables to a new DB. I would use your original file as the source of data for your new DB and consider the data in the paste errors table(s) as I rebuild.

JAH is offline Novice
    I've done as you recommended; created a new frontend and backend and imported the files and tables. Now how do I direct the new frontend to use the new backend?

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Set the table links with the Import wizard.

I have never known that images could be 'pasted' into a record. What field are you saving this image into?

This may be why your db is so large - embedded images.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Just as June7 commented, you will want to use the Import Manager.

It is probably not necessary to mention, but your FE file should not have any local tables that would resemble the tables in your BE. For instance, you would not copy tables from the old BE into your new FE file. It is likely you will not have any tables in your FE file before launching the Import Wizard. Afterwards, the tables should be linked and not local. Hope this helps.

JAH is offline Novice
    Hi June7, The field in the record is an OLE Object, and yes, the pix have a lot to do with the size of the table but the simplest was to get the images from the web into my database is a copy paste. I originally was storing them as 200-300kb images but now reduce them to 35-65kb. I set the link to the tables to the new backend, but when I try to access the tables the frontend still goes to the old backend.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Okay, never used OLEObject field. Few attempts to do so were not satisfactory.

The old and new backends have same name but in different folders? Are you sure looking in correct folder? If they are different names in same folder then the linking was not set to the new file.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.