AccessMeNow is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Input to database, without "the save action was cancelled" msg, while keep connected to excel

Hi,

I have made a query in my Access database, which I enter from an excel file I use for keeping a dashboard of the data. However, I cannot add new data to the access database without getting the error "the save action was cancelled" (although it is actually saved), while keeping the Excel file open. I hoped I could avoid this problem by instructing Excel to only update the data when the excel file is opened. Ideally I would like the excel data to be updated regularily without disturbing the use of Access for the one entering data into access.

I tried splitting the database, but I still got the same problem.

Hope the problem was understandable and that someone have a clue

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Why are you using Excel? What do you mean by 'dashboard'? Excel is saving data to Access? Or is this a message presented to a user working with the Access file for entering data? Why would user get message? I have an Excel file that pulls data from Access db and users entering data through Access do not get error when the Excel is open.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

AccessMeNow is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Thanks for the reply!

I am using Excel because I am more familiar with Excel, I want to present the data as interactive pivot charts which does not seem possible with Access.
    I am not saving to Access from Excel, the Excel files updates its own data that it pulls from a query in the Access file. Yes, the message is presented to the Access user when entering new data. Whenever the Excel file is open, the Access file has a corresponding "Microsoft Access Record-Locking Information" file. The user gets the message

It is interesting that you manage to pull data from Access with Excel without any problems. I would love to hear how you do it. I use the function under "Data" --> "From Access" in Excel. In my case the Excel file is automatically pulling data from Access, but in order to try making it as smooth as possible, I have instructed the Excel file to only pull the data when the Excel file is opening, not at fixed intervals which is also possible. But it does not seem to help. I also made sure the connection is only set to "Read" from Excel
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bilde1.jpg   Bilde2.jpg  

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I use VBA behind Excel to open a recordset object and then populate cells from the recordset. So there is not a direct link to the Access data. The recordset is a 'snapshot' of the data. Any input in Access after Excel opens the recordset is not pulled across.

Yes, unfortunately MS removed creating pivot charts/tables from Access 2013. If created in Access 2010, 2013 should be able to open but cannot create.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...0887aff?auth=1
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.