ScanGuard is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit

Access wont close using vba

Hi there,

I hope someone can help me.

I have an Access 2010 database that contains 1 table (listing a number of Excel files).

This Access file is opened by a Windows Scheduled Task set to run daily at a given time.

My problem is that everything works - until it is time to close the Access application (as it has finished doing what it needs to do).

Here is the code (I have converted the AutoExec macro to VBA for ease of conveying the code)

Option Compare Database
    Function AutoExec()
    On Error GoTo AutoExec_Err
    UpdateROS ' refer function below
    DoCmd.Quit acExit

AutoExec_Exit:
    Exit Function
    AutoExec_Err:
    MsgBox Error$
    Resume AutoExec_Exit
    End Function

Option Compare Database
    Option Explicit
    Public Declare Function GetUserName Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias "GetUserNameA" (ByVal lpBuffer As String, nSize As Long) As Long

Function UpdateROS()
    'This function is used to create a recordset of Excel files stored in table tblROS.
    'Each record has a file name (of the Excel file) plus a flag (to process the file or not)
    'The code works as expected - opens the selected Excel file and runs the macro "AutoUpdateROS", then moves to the next record.
    'Until the DoCmd.Quit. The application just hangs. I use Windows Task manager to kill the application, or wait until the Schedule Task time limits kick in (set at 4 hours)

Dim objXL As Object
    Dim objWB As Object
    Dim strfilename As String
    Dim strMacro As String
    Dim ssql As String
    Dim db As DAO.Database
    Dim rs1 As DAO.Recordset
    Set db = CurrentDb

ssql = ""
    ssql = ssql + "SELECT tblROS.ID, tblROS.Filename, tblROS.Process "
    ssql = ssql + "FROM tblROS "
    ssql = ssql + "WHERE tblROS.Process <> 0 "
    ssql = ssql + "ORDER BY tblROS.ID"

Set rs1 = db.OpenRecordset(ssql)
    Do While Not rs1.EOF
    strfilename = "some path\" & rs1!FileName

If rs1!Process <> 0 Then
    strMacro = "AutoUpdateROS"
    If rs1!ID >= 1 Then
    On Error Resume Next
    Set objXL = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
    objXL.Visible = True
    Set objWB = objXL.Workbooks.Open(strfilename)
    objXL.Run strMacro

If Err.Number = 0 Or Err.Number = 440 Then
    End If
    Err.Number = 0
    Set objWB = Nothing
    End If
    End If
    rs1.MoveNext
    Loop

Set objXL = Nothing
    rs1.Close
    Set db = Nothing
    DoCmd.SetWarnings False
    DoCmd.Quit acQuitSaveNone
    End Function

Any suggestions ?

If I set all Excel files to NOT be processed and run the file manually, it opens, it creates the recordset, it loops through the recordset, then Exits the Access application. No instance of Access remains.

Kind regards in advance

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    So you have Access open Excel and run code in the Excel. Might need to also close Excel, not just set the object variables to Nothing.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

JeroenMioch is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Im trying to export some data to excel and i read something about this, i think June is right (and he usually is )

Thanks for the suggestion. I shall give that a go.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Is it possible to better describe the symptom?

My problem is that everything works - until it is time to close the Access application (as it has finished doing what it needs to do).
    What is it that Access or your computer is doing that is not desirable?

I see that the VBA you use is closing the database for you. I suspect this line of code is creating an issue. However, you mentioned that you are not using VBA and you are executing a Macro Object.

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    You have this line:

Set objXL = CreateObject("Excel.Application")

inside the Do While loop; it is being executed multiple times, but Set objXL = Nothing is only being done once, after the loop has completed.

Try putting Set objXL = CreateObject("Excel.Application") above the Do While...

Hi Itsme,

Not sure if I can better describe the symptom.
    The code works insofar as Excel files are opened, and the vba within the excel file runs, saving the excel file and quitting Excel.

After the last excel file is updated, saved and closed, the Access application remains visible. I am unable to do anything within the Access application, and Windows Task manager reports CPU usage at approx 25%. It looks as if the Access application is in an infinite loop.

Hi John G
    You are correct, I set the Excel Application inside the loop, because the instance of Excel is closed by the Excel application.

When I am next in the office, I shall give your suggestion a go, but I suspect it will have an issue due the reason I mention above - Excel is closed by the Excel application.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ScanGuard View Post
    ...Task manager reports CPU usage at approx 25%. It looks as if the Access application is in an infinite loop.
    Considering this description and the fact that the Macro conversion includes the following line ...
    Code:
    DoCmd.Quit acQuitSaveNone
    I will assume the macro is still executing because it is hung on the acQuitSaveNone argument. The default is acQuitSaveAll. Design Time changes are not always available. Even though the code is asking to not save anything, this is still being interpreted as a design time change. Long story short, debugging a Macro is difficult if not impossible.

I suggest moving the entire operation over to VBA. I use code behind a form and make that form open at startup. You can select a form to open at startup via Access' Options.

Change DoCmd.Quit acQuitSaveNone to DoCmd.Quit. Remove any error trapping within the VBA. Then, debug your app by double clicking the Task within Task Scheduler (I believe I recall you mentioning you are automating this via Task Scheduler). If there are any exceptions within the process, click the Debug option and make a note of the line causing the exception.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.